The Surgeon Sequel - The Twins: Part 21

Both Kade and I feel totally energised after a solid nights sleep.

Troy greets us in the kitchen area and it’s obvious he’s really pissed with us. He looks at his watch, “We agreed to meet at 8 a.m and it’s now almost 9 a.m! What have you two been doing?” He asks.

Kade, sweeping back his freshly showered damp hair answers with a relaxed air, “Chill Troy. Tan and I have been to hell, we deserved a little heaven time,” he says, giving me a cheeky wink. Troy loosens up a little, “I understand that, I’m just eager to discover what’s in the cryogenic chamber. And your mum and Kelvin seem to blame me for you not being here on schedule,” he says 

Kade gives a friendly fist pump on his shoulder, “Where’s Kelly?” He asks. Troy pours himself some juice, “She’s sleeping in a secure room. Your mum, quite rightly wants us to check the authenticity of the corpse in the cryogenic pod. I’m convinced it’s Kelly that’s sleeping, but we need to discover who or what is in the chamber.” He takes a glug of juice, “Are you two finally ready? Your mum and Kelvin should be back soon.” He says.

 “You ready?” Asks, Kade shooting me a glance.

“Sure am – let’s go discover,” I say, enthused.

Kade stops me, “Just one thing before we go.” He points to the monitor, “How have our refugees been?” He asks.

"They were initially quite angry about being imprisoned. Then they were fearful when they heard of Kristene’s horrific death. Your mother explained that it wasn't witchcraft, that they were all implanted with a time released bacteria which they can be treated for," explains Troy.

Kade and I exchange glances, "So they've been given a disease, like the worker guys back Chicago?" I ask 

"That's correct," answers Kade's mother, who arrives in her holographic form. She's joined by little Kelvin, still cradling a gurgling baby Belinda.

I feel a slight tension still in the air, as Kade and his mother exchanged angry words last night. Kade is still pissed with her for not informing us of the supervision technology installed in our suits. And of course, they're disappointed in Kade and I for our betrayal of Troy. I guess only time can make things better.

 … 

Mother continues, “It appears that all of the refugees have had ampoules of Necrotising Fasciitis, a flesh eating bacteria, implanted inside them. The vials are electronically released into the blood stream at a designated time by a control centre – infecting them, causing them to literally decompose whilst still alive. Of course they’ve all been brainwashed to think they’ve been cursed. I think they still believe it.” She explains all of this matter of factly and with a knowing authority. 

Kade interjects, “Given what we discovered, that all makes sense. They’re being controlled by fear,” he says, looking at them all on the monitor.

Little Kelvin puts a happily gurgling baby Belinda in her cot, then turns to address us all. “Now, we must see what’s in the cryogenic chamber. I examined the corpse at the time of death and was satisfied it was Kelly.” He walks toward the monitor that shows Kelly sleeping soundly, “So, seeing her arrive back from hell with you – doesn’t make sense,” he says, giving a forced, quizzical look.

I still find it difficult to take this kid seriously – but, I guess I have to.

… 

The cryogenic room is vast.

When we enter, I’m always struck with the same sense of awe I experienced when I first entered here with my cousin Charlotte.

Kade sidles up to me, “We will make this place a force for good; I’m feeling so positive right now,” he says, putting his arm around me.