The Surgeon sequel - The Twins: Part 5

Dear Tanya

As you read this, you will know that I am now free and at peace. I could not live with the atrocities that were bestowed on me in the name of experimentation. Let the sight of me be testament to the malevolent force that The Twins harbor. Unfortunately, their evil is magnified now they are no longer under the control and leadership of The Surgeon.

She, The Surgeon, thrived on secrets and lies and I would like to share a fundamental deception that was concealed from everyone – apart from me.

I first met your mother when she was a newborn infant. At the time I was a pediatrician with a major in endocrinology (the study of hormones) at an Illinois hospital.

Her worried parents brought her to me because they were alarmed by the condition she was born with and sought my help. You see, she was born ‘intersex’ also known as a ‘hermaphrodite.’ This means she had both sets of genitalia: male and female. I was hired to ascertain which was the dominant sex, so a decision could be made to ‘surgically’ choose a gender.

However, as an ethical physician I refused to do this while she was a minor. I needed to see how she progressed and with which sex she identified as she grew and developed.

At the age of six, it was clear that she identified as a boy. She had no female inclinations what so ever. However, her parent’s saw her as a girl and this was medically supported by the fact that her hormone balance was more female than male. So, at the age of twelve, she was surgically made into a physically functioning female – a decision that I disagreed with and one, which I believe, was the route cause of The Surgeon’s issues with gender and control.

This, of course, was all hushed up. Most people believe that The Surgeon gave birth to Tabitha, your sister. She didn’t, Tabitha was legally adopted. When she died after a routine surgical procedure, The Surgeon and your father flipped and fell into an immoral and ethical abyss of which you are all too aware.

Now Tanya, about you, there is something you need to know...

...I’m suddenly distracted by Kade’s raised voice which causes baby Belinda to kick and stir. I glance away from the letter and towards my friends at the other end of this barren space, “Kelly – Troy is my brother, which means he’s YOUR BROTHER as well! There is no other way to say it, no other way to tell you...”

..Kelly cuts him off by sticking her fingers in her ears and chanting – “La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la,” whilst sprinting around the space. I note Troy; he’s standing with his forehead pressed against the wall, his eyes tightly closed.

I fold the letter when I see Kade approaching. He squats down and gently rubs Belinda’s cheek with his finger, “She’s so perfect and innocent,” he says, his smile full of natural warmth and love. He looks up at me, “I can’t judge her reaction,” he says, looking over at Kelly, who’s now on her knees, holding her head tightly into her lap, like she’s trying to keep out the truth. He looks back at the baby and then me, “If I found out anything like this about you and me, I’d be crushed,” he says, untying the t-shirt from my neck and lifting the baby into his arms, “You two are my number one priority,” he says, with a strong voice.

As always, his words soothe me and I say, “You know, despite all we’ve just witnessed, we’re lucky to have each others support – but right now Kade, your sister needs your support, go see to her.” I reach for the baby.

“No, I’ll take her with me, it might take her mind away from what she’s just found out; at least for a moment or two,” he says, kissing his fingers then touching my cheek – that’s his thing.