TRANSHUMAN: 4

Kade thinks I've gone insane.

And I guess he's right.

My love for him has driven me to act with extreme insanity.

But you know, there is a method to my madness.

However, I do feel bad for the way I duped him.

......

We were in our post-love-making cuddly mood, when I asked him to come with me down to our Saferoom#3 to look at a potential malfunction in its security system.

For Kade, our security is paramount so he didn't hesitate in jumping up and pulling on his sweat-pants, sweatshirt and training shoes.

I dressed similarly and followed him into our elevator.

Now, I had pre-prepared the space and I should let you know that our Saferoom#3 is not like some kind of prison cell, in fact none of our Saferooms are.

They are more like self-contained underground apartments fitted with all the amenities you would expect for luxury living. The only difference is, when you get in, there's no getting out; unless of course, I, or another authorised person lets you out.

Right now, I'm the only person with the authority to free Kade, yet I intend to keep him down there for the foreseeable future.

......

Once out of the elevator I dawdled, letting Kade walk a few paces ahead of me. When he was a few metres inside Saferoom#3, I slammed on the security system.

Kade spun round and launched himself at the impregnable glass wall.

My heart broke at the sight of him.

He looked like a frightened cat, stunned and clawing for freedom in a trapped cage.

His eyes darted from left to right, searching for what or whom had trapped us.

'US' – that's right.

In those first frantic few moments Kade thought we were both trapped, "Don't worry Tan, I'll sort this out," he said, running around the Saferoom and its environs.

Eventually he stopped in the middle of the main room, "Tan, where are you?" he hollered.

I paused for a minute before taking a deep breath and stepping into view on the other side of his prison, "I'm here," I said.

He let out a huge relieved sigh, then smiled, "Jeez Tan, I thought we'd been finally trapped by The Three surgeons." He walked towards me, "Come on in, show me where this malfunction is," he said.

I dropped my head.

"Tan, come on, hit the code," he said.

I remained silent.

"Tan, stop goofing around, hit it and come show me the problem," he said.

His voice was light with the fluffy sense of fun that I find so endearing in him.

I said nothing because I couldn't find the words.

"Tan, what is it, look at me – let me outta here," he said.

The fluffiness had left his voice, replaced with a gentle concern.

I couldn't look at him, "No Kade," I said, my head staring at my feet.

"No! What do you mean Tan; look at me, please," he said, his voice now full of pleading.

My head remained bowed, "No means no Kade. I won't let you out until you re-consider your transition to Transhuman.

"You mean you've locked me in here?" his voice now had an edge of anger.

"Yes," I said, still unable to look at him.

There was a pause before he said, "You've become my Captor?" he said, his voice ached with incredulity and sadness.

"Yes," I said.

"Tan think about what you're doing, think about what this will do to our relationship – think about this in the context of our lives with all its twists and turns!"

His words were wet with tears.

I looked at him, his beautiful eyes swollen with sorrow, "No Kade, you think about what you're doing." I wiped my wet eyes, "I've put you in isolation to give you thinking time – think about what your transition to Transhuman will do to our relationship – and there will be no twists, you're trapped from them!" I said, not able to hide the rise of despair in my voice.

As I turned away, Kade called after me, "Tan, don't do this, don't leave me like this!" he pleaded.

"You have all you need Kade, I'll be back in a week to see you." I looked him intently in the eye, "Kade, please THINK!" I said.

He moved towards the reinforced glass wall and placed his hand upon it, "Touch me, Tan."

I reached my outstretched hand and placed it over his, "I can't, for the glass prevents it, in the same way the digital cloud will do so if you become Transhuman – think about it," I said, repeating my mantra.

As I turned to walk away Kade shouted after me, "Tan, you must THINK about what you're doing."

I didn't look back.

......

It's been a week since I put Kade into solitary confinement for his own protection and I'm going down to talk with him, now.

I take time with my appearance, as I want to look really pretty for him.

But, I'm so apprehensive and nervous.

I have no idea what emotional state I'll find Kade in.

At best, I hope he's changed his mind; at worst his anger may have mounted and he'll hate me.

But there's no time for speculation – I'm going down.

......

My cell vibrates in the elevator – but now's not the time for notifications.

My heart races as I take a slow walk towards Saferoom#3.

I pause at the corner, take a deep breath and turn towards the glass wall.

My heart skips a beat at the sight of him.

He's standing in the middle of the room, freshly shaved, his hair neatly groomed.

He's wearing smart grey chinos and crisp white shirt – this is what he wore when he first approached me on the street in Chicago.

"Hi Tan, it's so good to see you," he says, with his soft smile.

I return the smile, "I missed you," I say, walking towards Saferoom#3.

My cell vibrates again and I regret not turning off my notifications before I came down.

"I missed you too," he says, reaching his hand out towards the glass that prevents our touch.

I reach my hand towards his knowing that I will release him and feel his strong arms around me once again.

But – I see something and my whole body jolts at the sight.

Kade's hand travels through the thick glass.

In my confusion, I make to grab it, but my hand goes through his as it would a hologram.

As I franticly flail, I hear Kade's voice, "I told you Tan, you must THINK about what you're doing in the context of our lives – you didn't!"

My cell vibrates again and I grapple in my pocket.

My hand shakes as I read the notification: YOUR FIRST TRANSHUMAN APP IS READY FOR DOWNLOAD: KADE.