The Surgeon 8

The Surgeon approaches Brogan, "All's going well, Brigitte

The Surgeon approaches Brogan, "All's going well, Brigitte. Your father and I are extremely happy with your progress and we're so excited about being grandparents. We can remove the bandages in a few days so you can see your beauty in all its glory," she says, grinning like the psycho she is.

She lowers her head and drops her vocal tone, her attempt at sounding caring, "Regarding your pregnancy, Brigitte: we made the decision to remove the womb during your gender reassignment surgery."

My Father joins in, "We took the advice of our Fertility Consultant. We couldn't risk your body rejecting the organ and thus jeopardize the babies development."

The Surgeon continues, "We've implanted the fertilized embryo and a placenta into your abdominal cavity, under your peritoneum, that's your stomach lining. The duration of your pregnancy will be closely monitored and your child, our grandchild, will be delivered by Cesarean Section." She rubs his head gently, "Rest assured, Brigitte, all will be done to protect the life of this baby."

Brogan's eyes remain wide and fixed on me, they plead: help me.

.......

The Surgeon follows Brogan's horrified gaze and turns her attention to me, "You may leave now – you're disowned. What will come of you, we don't know, nor do we care," she points to the door, "get out! The sight of you makes me feel sick," she says, with a venomous hiss.

I look at my father for any signs of love or empathy. I see nothing, just a detached disappointment: I'm no longer his Princess, nor his pride and joy.

I'm being discarded, hurled into the streets like a used up lab rat.

"I'm sorry for letting you down, Dad," I say this to gauge his reaction rather than believing I did. He looks at me with cold eyes, "You let yourself down!" Then he softens a little, "Look, I've paid for that Hotel room for a month and you have the money you stole from my credit card..." The Surgeon cuts in..."We should have had it incarcerated for that," she spits.

She called me 'It' how charming – Not.

My Father continues, "Go get back and see to Professor Merton; tying up a professional lady like that's beyond low, you're lucky we didn't whip your butt," he says.

An incredulous chuckle escapes me; they knew where we were all the time. I really hope this means I'm free of these people with whom I had the misfortune to be born to.

......

I walk for the door and don't look back.

Free.

I hope?

......

A chill wind smacks me hard; it's a cold reminder of my predicament – I'm all-alone in the windy city; a transgendered girl, with no family and a story no one in authority will believe.