Dark Side- Chapter Twenty Seven

(Authors note)- sorry it took so long to upload, I just hate it when life interrupts my fantasy world :/

"How close are the cottages?" I groaned, we've been walking for what felt like days.

"Quit complaining." Darrin growled, pushing branches out of the way.

I stuck my tongue out at his back. He's been grouchy ever since we left. I celebrated a mini victory as I noticed the tree line getting thinner, the more we walked the less there was. I asked about five times if they checked to make sure the place existed but they only brushed me off. I was starting to feel like the annoying little fly around your food when I heard car engines. The sounds of the ramp filled my ears as cars got on and off. Soon enough the busy highway came into view. I let out an exasperated sigh as Darrin pretended to faint.

Across the street, I could see the tops of cottages, only the busy highway and a small forest separated us from them. Dianne ran ahead, using her speed and dodging cars. Very few of them honked actually but they probably didn't see her. She was in the forest before I could move, it was like she'd done it before. Darrin and I stepped onto the road at the same time. We ran across until we got to the divider in the middle. As soon as we stepped onto the cement divider my body felt heavier. Like I was dragging along a brick for the fun of it. Looking beside me I could see that Darrin felt it too, his perfect posture was slumped forwards. How did Dianne make it across so fast?

We followed her footpath but the closer we got to the forest the heavier the brick got. Cars skidded to a stop to avoid hitting us as we slowed to a walk. Barely getting enough strength to get up the small hill of the ditch. Once a the top we found Dianne and walked into the little forest, keeping the cottages in sight. I hung my head and stared at me feet as I walked, looking up occasionally to check on our path. I was concentrated on making my feet move that I didn't even see anything until I slammed into something warm and hard. I stood with my head down still starring at the faded work boots that were suddenly in my line of sight. It defiantly wasn't Dianne, Darrin or Vivian.

"Um, Soap?" Darrin whispered, grabbing my shoulder.

"Who are you?" A deep almost sinister voice demanded. I felt the vibration in his chest, it made me shiver as I finally looked up.

I stepped back quick, the man in front of me was huge. He was humongous actually, nearly hitting tree branches with his huge head. His eyes were a shinny yellow colour, almost gold but not quite. When we didn't answer his question a bombing growl erupted from him, I couldn't help but cringe. Everything about him pointed to one thing. He's an Alpha.

"Who are you?" He snarled this time.

"Chryson." I breathed.

"Darrin." My brother echoed.

"Why are you on my land?" He growled, I watched as other eyes lit up in the forest.

"We didn't know." I answered smoothly, trying not to panic and failing.

"Here's the third one." Another man walked up beside the Alpha and carried Dianne's limp body in his arms.

A small line of blood ran down the side of her face as he threw her on the ground. My body felt heavier in his presence. I never got this feeling if I accidentally crossed through Ian's territory. What's different about this? The Alpha walked around us slowly, sizing us up with his creepy eyes. My brain had a mini panic attack, god please don't let me die.

*Ian's POV*

Sam is a disgrace. A werewolf we should've killed months ago. He isn't even full wolf, only half blood. How he came to be an Alpha is a mystery to my entire pack.

" you're positive she's out here?" Jack asked pushing branches away as we looked for any sure signs that Sophie went Sam's way. I fixed him with a look and he rolled his eyes, continuing to search in front of me.

"I can sense her, I know she's out here." I told him.

"I don't trust your senses," Jack smirked, "plus if she's out here she's dead."

I growled, making him laugh then cringe. It was true most of Sam's captive didn't last an hour. To me it was even more reason to hurry. A shriek filled the air and my lungs with icy intensity. Sophie. Jack froze too, both of us sprinting forward once we recovered. I was furious, I'm gonna kill Sam then if Sophie thinks she's out of the woods she wrong. She wanted to go down here, she got herself into this. She can lay in her own bed for a bit more. I ran across the highway at top speed dodging cars that couldn't stop fast enough. Sophie's sent filled my nostrils and I burst through the tree line, twisting into a wolf.

Jack landed beside me as a human, going to pick Sophie up off the ground and holding her unconscious body in his arms. She dropped over his arms like a sheet, it was unnerving. I looked at Sam, a whole new anger possessing my body. He smiled as I growled walking over Darrin and baring my teeth.

"Ian," Sam breathed,"There's something different about you, but what?"

I snarled a response, snapping at his leg and just missing as he jumped back. He changed suddenly becoming a wolf right before my very eyes. Despite his shaved head in human form he has thick grey hairs with a bald strip on his forehead. It was laughable at first sight but the overwhelming stench of evil he gave off made your laugh crawl back down your throat.

We started circling each other. I liked Sam better in wolf form, he couldn't talk. I could plan to kill him without hearing his voice. We gradually got closer to each other, my snarls bounced around the trees as Sam's remained low and deathly. I let him jump at me, I sprinted forward, going under him and grabbing his back legs with my teeth. I brought him down, slamming his back into a tree on the way. I let him go slowly once he was on the ground, the surrounding pack growled but nobody moved, it seemed weird that an Alpha like Sam could go down that fast. He was limp and unmoving as his legs twitched.

Before he could miraculously spring back to life I had him in a death hold. My jaws locked around his thick neck. This disgrace should have never seen the light of day in the first place. My mouth snapped shut. Sam went limp in my grasp.

"Ian?" A soft whisper engulfed my ears.

Dropping the body I turned around to see Sophie's wide eyed expression. I growled. Jack nodded as if he understood and gently placed her on the ground. He gave her a small push towards the highway. Next he picked up Darrin, slung him into a fireman's hold and started to walking back with Sophie following behind him. I could feel her stare at me as I turned to face the glowing read eyes before Sophie disappeared behind the trees.

Stepping out one by one the wolves bowed down. Their front legs bent and heads down, like they were stretching. If I wolf could smile I'd be grinning from ear to ear. I felt powerful. Like my stride was more steady, my vision sharper, my scent stronger. I could taste the wind on my tongue. It was amazing.

Using the new mind link I connected to the pack, 'stay here. Kill any rehearsed female vampires that cross. Don't do anything else unless I say so.'

They looked up at me like lost dogs. One stepped forward and gave a short nod before the rest of them stood. Then they disappeared back into the forest.

Running, I caught up with Sophie and Jack across the highway. I followed behind her already embracing my new born strength as I pushed ahead of them, making my way to the front of the group.

After all, I am the Alpha now.