Chapter 9: La Grande Illusion

'Thicker than blood. More precious than oil. Riverdale's big business is maple syrup. Since the towns founding, One family has controlled itslucrative syrup trade, the Blossoms. They were a part of the fabric of our daily lives... Rich or poor, old or young,we consumed Blossom syrup by the bucket. That sticky, sweet smell was inescapable. The death of Jason Blossom precipitated a crisis. With the heir apparent gone, who would inherit the family business one day? Certainly not Cheryl. It was a question that brought the wolves to Riverdale. And now, the Blossoms are circling the wagons against possible attack, from within their own ranks.'

"Lawyers are coming over this week to take our statements for your dad's hearing. We're going to have to testify on your father's behalf." Hermione tells the twins.

"What if I asked about what he did?" Veronica asked at breakfast that morning. "Embezzling all that money? Am I gonna have to lie?"

"Well... We might have to shade the truth a bit, Ronnie." Hermione tells Veronica.

"Yeah and that's not lying." Dallas said making Hermione glare at her son.

"Mom?" Veronica asked seeing her mother stressed.

"Baby, I have made a mess of things. Your father found out about Fred and me. Someone went to him before I got a chance to say anything...." Hermione tells her daughter.

"Oh, my god, dad knows?" Veronica asked her mom.

"Yes, and on top of that, the Blossoms are still after the drive-in land, and Fred still doesn't know that we own it." Hermione tells her kids.

"Maybe it's time you tell Mr. Andrews the truth."Veronica tells her mother.

"And risk having him walk off the project? We've bet everything we have on the SoDale construction." Hermione told her daughter.

"Mom, this is a small, gossipy town. Do you need to tell Fred about the land before someone else does." Veronica tells her mother.

"I agree then Anna wouldn't have to hide that from her dad." Dallas said taking a drink with orange juice.

"What?" Hermione asks her son shocked.

"What? I can't just lie to her." Dallas said like it was normal.

"Don't worry about Anna, Mom." Veronica tells her mother putting a comforting hand on her shoulder. "She is like a vault if you don't piss her off."

After that the Lodge twins get ready for school. As the Andrew twins and Jughead did the same.

The two pairs of twins were at school all going to class as Ethel read her poem.

"They put me in a wooden box as I desperately opposed. But all my screaming was for naught. My mouth has been sewn closed. Curled up in bed was just a girl. Needing daddy's arms to hold her." Ethel read from her book.

The Annabelle and Jughead both walk down the hall to the lounge as Veronica said, "Just in time. We're celebrating."

"Archie is just telling us how he's going to some super exclusive music program this summer." Kevin tells Jughead and Anna.

Jughead goes to sit by Betty as Annabelle goes and sit's by Dallas.

"Maybe. If it happens, though, it would be huge for me."Archie tells everybody.