Chapter 1: The Rivers Edge

'Our story is about a town, small town, and people who live in the town. From a distance, it presents itself like so many other small towns all over the world... Safe. Decent. Innocent. Get closer though and you start seeing the shadows underneath. The name of our town is Riverdale. And our story begins, I guess, with what the Blossom twins did this summer. On the Fourth of July just after dawn Jason and Cheryl Blossom drove out to Sweetwater River for an early morning boat ride. The next thing we know for sure is that Dilton Doiley, what is a leading Riverdale's boy scouts bird-watching expedition came upon Cheryl at the river's edge. Riverdale police dragged Sweetwater River for Jason's body, but never found it. So a week later the Blossom family buried an empty casket and Jason's death was ruled an accident as a story that Cheryl tour made the rounds. That Cheryl dropped a glove in the water, and Jason reaches down to get it and accidentally tipped the boat and panicked and drowned. As for us, we were still talking about the "July Fourth tragedy" on the last day of summer vacation and a new mystery rolled into town.'

"Jug, this is really good

"Jug, this is really good." Annabelle told her best friend, Jughead Jones.

Annabelle Andrews. Fun, kind, can be a bitch and sticks up for people she loves and that list is long.

The two have been best friends forever. It was always Annabelle, Jughead, and Archie before Archie and Jughead got into a fight. Now it's just Annabelle and Jughead.

The two were at Pops hanging out before school tomorrow. It was a tradition for the two. They also went on a trip every year but Archie bailed leading to the fight.

"It's not that good, but thanks," Jughead said taking his computer back.

Jughead Jones. Writer, loner, sarcastic, and loves Annabelle like a sister. One thing about Jughead is don't mess with his sisters, Jellybean or Annabelle.

"Not good! Are you crazy? Jug, if you want, this could be a book." Annabelle gushes. "Then when it brings in the money you can give your best friend most of it."

Jughead laughed. "And what makes you think I'd give my money to you?"

"Duh because I'm your only best girl friend?" Annabelle said raising an eyebrow. "And have you seen me?"

Jughead rolled his eyes. "You're not that good looking?"

Annabelle gasped dramatically. "So what if I look like Betty I'd be pretty?"

Jughead blushed rolling his eyes; he grabbed a fry and threw it at her making her laugh. "Shut up!"

A few blocks away a long black car pulled up with a raven-haired boy and girl and their mother in it at the Pembrook.