Chapter 34- Off And On

                                                       Date: Wednesday, June 28, 1966

                                                                      Time: 6:14PM

                                                                    JOSEPH'S POV

I pressed a single button as lightly as I could. The button gave in, and I heard a burning sound from outside of the control panel.

Yes, I was at work, in US Steel, and was a happy as could be that I was working. Well, I shouldn't say that, because working at US Steel is rough. I certainly wouldn't want my kids to be working in a facility like this.

And that is exactly why I push them as hard as I do. If we get discovered, then they will not have to suffer from Gary's awful Steel companies. I would never wish that upon anyone, even if I hated their guts.

I watched closely as a crane began lowering itself to the ground... closer and closer... and closer...

"Jackson!!!" shrieked a voice.

I nearly fell out of my seat as I answered. "Gah! I mean, yes, Mr...," I turned around to see my boss. "Mr. Lethco. How may I help you today?"

My boss didn't speak directly to me. Instead, he handed me a couple papers and pat me on the back. "Sorry, man," was all he said.

I gazed at the papers, unsure of what he was talking about. 'Sorry, man'? The only thing he would be 'sorry' for is if I were to be-

"Laid off? Again?!" I exclaimed. No, he couldn't be laying me off. I just restarted a couple months ago! Besides, I'm one of his most valuable workers!

He merely shrugged, lowering my spirits. "Like I said, sorry, man. We've got someone else. They've been off for longer than you, anyways."

"Wait," I began asking. "Who is this new person?"

"Well, as I just said, he isn't new, per se, but he has been off longer than you have. His name... Isn't he one of your buddies? Elijah Wells?"

I smacked my forehead, leaving some grease behind. Elijah? HE took my spot?!... 

Enraged, I didn't say anything to anyone as I stomped out of the building. When I was outside, I didn't take one last look indoors. And when I was finally in my Buick, I did not peer back at the bright blue of my former work building.

On the way home, I thought of how unfair it was that Elijah got my job spot. I have 9 children to feed... He only has 2!here are so many other job opportunities!

But, of course, there were advantages that I was open to, that Elijah wasn't. I've got my boys working... I can easily get $20-$30 a gig. And Kayla wouldn't be earning anything, if it weren't for me! And US Steel doesn't pay an awful lot...

But, in my position, every little, tiny increment of money counts.

By the time I reached my house, I felt okaywith Elijah, yet mad that I didn't have an official job anymore. That is, until Elijah gets laid off. And even then, it may be a while before anything really comes in.

Sighing, I stopped my car and hopped out. I headed inside of my house, not peeping a word to anyone. I headed to the bathroom and washed my now-greasy face. Heading back, Kattie stopped me.