Chapter 20- Seven, At Last

                                                          Date: Sunday, April 13, 1966

                                                                    Time: 10:26AM

                                                                     KAYLA'S POV

"Amen," I quietly spoke aloud. After opening my eyes, I peered behind me, where Michael was sitting with his family. He grinned mischievously before sitting with Jermaine and Marlon.

Fluffing out the skirt to my new Sunday dress, I sat down. I began to think: why did Elijah spare four dollars for something new? He didn't even go to the Salvation Army for this!

He didn't even go to the Salvation Army... he wouldn't spend four dollars on an article of clothing. Even for Church, I wouldn't think!

And then I caught his glimpse. He was deeply concentration on the Bible.

Well... never mind. But still... it's strange.

Taking my mind off of something as shallow as a dress, I explored the room... with my eyes. I noticed the hidden room, where the Church kept the piano. I realized that the carpeting on the floors was deep emerald green. I saw that one of the lights in the Church were broken. I even saw a gang member.

A gang member in Church... that was something I didn't see frequently. It was actually nice to see. Maybe the kids and the Church would finally form a truce or something. That'd be great....

Speaking of gang members, I noticed that the majority of the kids in schools are gang-related. I've even gone to the nurse a couple times because of a bloody nose. Those guys were not friendly, especially to girls.

As I was thinking, I felt a warm, damp-ish object on my neck. I turned around to find Marlon, placing his hand on me.

"Comfy?" I asked,giving him a strange look.

"Oh, sorry. I was just cooling my hands off," he replied, sitting down.

First off, that was sort of gross. When possible, I decided I would wash my face and neck. And second... what did that mean? 'I'm just cooling my hands off'?

I turned around and found Marlon just staring ahead. At me. Just tapping his chin and staring at me. To be honest, I was a little freaked out.

After about ten seconds, I finally had to ask him what was going on. "What?"

"Ah!" he shouted, snapping out of a trance, "nothing, nothing at all..."

I squinted my eyes at him. I liked Marlon and  thought he was a cool kid, but that was a little strange. Then again, it seems like everyone except for Michael and the Jackson girls were strange.

Maybe it had to do with guys... and Michael missed some trait at birth... Maybe a trait of Joseph's. Who knew?

When I turned around, I found my Dad- I mean, Elijah- in front of the Church, facing the pastor. He seemed to be talking to him, which I found strange. It's the middle of service, why would the pastor take time to talk to Elijah?

However, all the thinking was giving me a headache, so I quit. Instead, I stared at Elijah, wondering what his next move would be.

After about half a minute of what seemed to be mindless murmur between Elijah and the pastor, the pastor raised his head at Elijah and cocked it oddly. His expression suddenly turned sour, and he spoke back to Elijah.

Oh, great. Now they seemed to be fighting. Just great. Fighting in the middle of Church. What a lovely, peaceful gathering today! 

I grumbled silently as I watched the two go back and forth... silently.

Finally, the pastor shrugged and slumped his shoulders. He leaned in to the microphone before continuing. "Mister Wells here has an announcement for everyone at the Church. Now, I find this to be against Church rules, and it may have to be reported, but he said he was willing ot take the risk. Elijah, would you...?" he moved out of the way of the podium.

Elijah stepped up, looking nervous, and he leaned in to the microphone. It was actually sort of a funny sight, because Elijah was a really tall man. He had to really lean in to the microphone.

"Umm... normally, I, eh," he giggled before continuing, "I wouldn't make a deal of, you know, a situation... like this one, but, heh... this-this year is a special year... I would like to say something to my daughter, Kayla..."

I felt an elbow nudge me in the back. I turned around to see Michael grinning. "That's you!"

"That's me!" I whispered back, shaking one fist in the air. Michael giggled before turning back to his seat.

Turning back around, Elijah continued. "Today... I mean, seven years ago, today... I think- I mean, I know... A special girl was born. Yes, she isn't mine, per se, but she is... it's a complicated story. And even though we don't celebrate birthdays, I would like to point this special day out... I love you, Kayla."

                                                                     MICHAEL'S POV

"I love you, Kayla."

Kayla turned around to see me. "It's your birthday?" I asked. "Happy birth-"

I stopped mid-sentence. When I saw Kayla, I froze completely. She was staring at me, with huge puppy eyes... and they were welling up. Oh no, she was gonna cry!

"Why-why are you sad?" I asked her. Why would someone be sad on teir birthday?

"Because," she simply stated, sniffling. "He's the best."

Not knowing how to respond, I grinned at her, slightly. I never understood why some chicks cried like that. It just wasn't something i could comprehend. Maybe I'd learn later on. Hey, maybe Kayla could teach me or something!

I sat back, thinking about how sophisticated we seven-year-olds are...

And then I wondered something: Why did Mister Wells point out a birthday?

Hmm... the many mysteries of Elijah, or Earth, for that matter.

                **A friend of mine told me that this actually happened at a church. That is the only reason why I added it in. Otherwise, I would think of it as almost too far-fetched. Enjoy!