Chapter 27- The JoeMonster At The Window

                                                              Date: Friday, May 27, 1966

                                                                        Time: 9:56PM

                                                                      JOSEPH'S POV

I parked the car into our parking lot. Well... it wasn't much of a parking lot. I guess you could call it the place where grass won't grow on our lawn. 

Yeah, that sounded more like it.

Whistling a tune, I hopped out of the car and grabbed a couple bags of groceries. Oh, being back at work really can be great. With income coming in from work and the band... well, we're raking in a small profit. And, of course, with Janet being here, we need all the profit we can get.

Boy, that baby eats a lot!

I hopped every couple steps, in beat with my tune. Nothing could bring me down today...!

That was, until I saw the boys' bedroom from outside. They left their window open again! I wondered if they knew how easy it could be for some random man to come up and abduct them.

They probably had not a clue in their little naive heads. Of course, they're immature kids! How are they supposed to know?!

I argued with my question. Uh, because I've told them a million time to close that darn window! I folded my arms in frustration. What was I gonna do to get back at them? How could I get them to learn from this mistake?

Then I had it: I'd get one of my old makeshift masks and scare the bejeezus out of them! Haha, maybe it would make them think twice about keeping their windows open!

With that giddy feeling in my stomach, I rushed inside of the house to the kitchen. As quickly and quietly as I could, I pulled out one of my raggedy old masks. Yes, they were old. Yes, the colors had faded. But it would work perfectly.

 I put the mask on and fit it evenly around my ears. Now, I could really get to them! Feeling cheesy for a moment, I rubbed my hands together and imagined laughing in an evil tone. Muahahaha.

I tiptoed out of the house and made my way around to the boys' bedroom. Once I was there, I hid for about a minute, thinking about ho to enhance this fright.

After a few more seconds of waiting, I ducked under the window and rustled our bush underneath with my hands. Soon after, I ran my fingernails along the sill.

The first voice that came was Marlon's. "Mhmmmm...," he moaned. He was still half-asleep.

Getting impatient, I lightly knocked against the house. That woke Marlon up completely. I could hear him from the inside.

"Wha... Michael. Psst, Michael. Get up... I think somethin' is outside... Man, I heard it just a second ago. C'mon, get up!"

Michael joined. "Mmm... What is it, Marlon?"

"Hey, what are you two-" Jackie started. Seizing this moment as an opportunity, I kicked at the house a little harder than my punch.

"Oh my Lord! What was that?!" Jackie whispered. "Tito. Hey, Tito! Get up! I heard... Oh dear..."

I had to keep from giggling at the boys' noises. Marlon was now himpering, and I could hear Michael patting him on the back, saying, "It's alright. Here, you can have some of my candy..." and such. 

Okay, I thought, now it's my time to act. 

As swiftly as I could, I turned around, stood up, and roared in front of the now-awake kids. I tried to be loud enough to scare the kids, yet soft enough to not wake anyone else up.

Jermaine and Michael did nothing. In fact, Michael was chewing on some candy corn from last year. "Hey, Joseph," he said, popping another sugar-filled snack into his mouth.

Tito sort of jumped, but never really said anything.

What happened to Marlon and Jackie? They screamed like little girls. And it served them right. They shouldn't have left that dang window open! Maybe, this time around, I taught them their lesson.

"You'll never leave this window open again, right?" I asked of each of them. Luckily, all of them, including Michael, agreed. At least I didn't have to fight with Michael at 10 at night.

When I was finished lecturing them, I stared at Michael. "Put that candy up, it's time for bed. You'll be up for the rest of the night of you have any more." And, with that, I strutted out of the room.

1 for Joseph, NOTHING for the kids! I grinned mischievously.