Chapter 15- The Dangers Of Gary

****

                                                   Chapter 15- The Dangers Of Gary

                                                     Date: Monday, March 16, 1966

                                                               Time: 12:07PM

                                                                 TITO'S POV

I was joyfully whistling the tune to 'Stop! In the Name of Love', my hands thrust deep in my pockets and an enormous grin plastered to my face. Today just had to be my day. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and I found a dime on the road! That meant I could get something special at the corner store later.

As I walked out of the school doors to grab lunch at home, I passed a couple good friends. "Hey, Tito, how's the family?" One called from the opposite sidewalk.

I waved before replying with, "Good, we're moving from Mister Lucky's. How're you?"

"Wow, moving? Well, I wish your family the best. I'm doing fine. My brother got his license a few days ago."

"Good to hear!" I shouted, my grin expanding.

"Yeah. Oh, I've gotta go. Hey, tell Marlon that I said happy belated Birthday... even though you don;t celebrate."

"Sure will!" I exclaimed, feeling dandy. After that, my friend disappeared into the corner store. I almost considered stopping in, but surpassed it.

I just loved walking on the way home by myself. While Gary was fairly small, there was a lot packed into one little place. We had a bunch of restaurants and donut shops. There was a theater not too far down the road from where I was at. There were several fun corner markets where I could check out the freshly-baked pastries (and young women behind the booths).

Hey, I'm a twelve-year-old boy. Ninety-eight percent of twelve-year-old boys are like this. Ninety-eight.

Somewhere, in the middle of my dreamlike feeling, someone shouted, "Hey!"

Slightly startled, I snapped back into reality and checked my surroundings. Hmm, I thought after scanning the area, I don't see anyone...

"HEY!" The voice shouted. It was from behind.

Slowly, I turned around to find two boys from the school I went to. Unfortunately, they didn't look too happy.

Of course, I wouldn't be too happy if I were them, either. For thirteen years old, they were monster-sized brutes with a nasty... everything. Their appearance, their evil smile, their reputation... just all nasty.

"Haven't I seen you around?" I asked stupidly.

However, the boys didn't answer, however. Instead, they demanded. "Give us the money," the littler one said.

"Umm," I fumbled, feeling the dime in my pocket, "I do-don't have any money," I claimed, feeling guilty.

The boys' expressions turned from mad to ferocious. The bigger one turned to the other. "Get it."

At first I thought that the littler one was going to strangle me, but he didn't. Then again, I have a slightly bad look about myself, if you know what I mean. For twelve, I've got a deep voice.

Instead of strangling me, the little one reach for his knapsack. A couple seconds later, the bigger one did the same.

When I heard the clack of metal, I already knew what it was. My eyes were bigger than basketballs... they were medicine balls!

The two pulled out GUNS. Very small, yet powerful guns... that could take my life.

The bigger guy set his gun off of safety. "Give us the money."

That was when I lost it. I ran in several zigzag patterns, screaming my head off like a little girl. In fact, that was probably the squeakiest my voice ever got.

I ran and ran and ran.... until I was at the comfort of my house.

And I did not go back to school.

                                                           KATHERINE'S POV

                                                              Time: 12:23PM

I was humming a country tune to myself as I heard wailing outdoors. Intrigued, I hobbled over to the front door and opened it up.

There stood little Tito, wiping his eyes with his shirt sleeve. "Mommy," he called, stuttering, "I n-need you."

'Whoa, what happened?!" I exclaimed, ushering him inside. "Tell me what happened."

"Well-l," he blubbered, "There were boys... boys from school, and they-y-y asked for my mon-ney. When I said no, they pull-ll-led out guns. And I ran!!!" he screamed the last word, tugging on my shirt.

I'l be honest, I thought this was strange. Tito was my independent one. It was always Jermaine who was the Momma's boy. Tito barely ever cried, and not like this.

Gee, I knew that crime rates were rapidly rising in Gary, but this is bad. This was too much.

I knew that we had to get out of Gary.

But what could I do right now? I was in no shape to do a lot. Right now, I simply pat his head, shh-ing him and thinking about what I was gonna say to Joseph and the principal.