Chapter 2- Behind Their Backs

Chapter 2: Behind Their Backs

                                                          Date: Thursday, January 7, 1966

                                                                        Time: 9:08PM

                                                                      MICHAEL'S POV

"Oh, stand by me... Stand by me... Stand by me," Jermaine sang. This was the last song of our night at Mister Lucky's (Stand By Me by Otis Redding), and I was sure glad of it.

I was feeling unusually tired again. To be honest, I was wondering if it had to do with something I did today. I mean, I DID run the mile in gym, but that shouldn't wear me out this much.

"Thank you! Have a great night, y'all!" Tito called before all of us Jacksons exited the stage, so that the Ratchettes could get on. Man, those Ratchettes were a mean bunch. They sure look all goody-goody and down-to-Earth, but they were fiesty little... firecrackers.

I ran back to where Kayla was, so I could help load the truck. Man, she looked tired, too! I wonder if it was something in the air.

Then, of course, my mind told me, Michael, it's the beginning of January. The temperature was negative three. There is absolutely NOTHING in the air that could be bothering us... But then, what could?

I shook the thought off my mind as I grabbed some tambourines and bongoes.

Kayla and I didn't really talk on the way out. I think we were both too cold to do anything else. Besides, when we came back in, we were shivering.

We got the rest of the stuff packed (not soon enough), and minutes later, everyone was in the truck, on the way home.

Now that Milford was in the group, we had to squeeze together for all of us to fit in the back of the truck. At this time of year, it was no big deal. In fact, huddling together may be the smart choice, if we wanted to keep ourselves warm. And that's exactly what we did.

When all of us arrived at my house, we all pitched in to put things together, which was a nice change. In fact, we all only took one trip to the truck and back.

I think, by the looks of it, Kayla and I both took it as a blessing. There were already circles starting to form underneath her eyes.

On normal days, Kayla would stay around my house for about fifteen minutes and we would all chat. Today, Kayla left as soon as she could today, which was about the same time as Milford left.

In fact, the only communication she had once we were home was, "Night. Gotta go."

On most nights, I'd have thought it was suspicious, but I was too tired to even think about it. In fact, I thought that I'd just go without dinner.

I actually did that. I think I scared my brothers a little, actually.

"Goodnight," I muttered, heading to the bedroom. I didn't turn around or even stay to hear what my brothers had to say.

                                                                        MARLON'S POV

Okay, something is up with Michael and Kayla. They're always tired on the same days, once a month. Did they communicate or something? I decided that I'd find out tonight.