Chapter 19- Lischia's 'Lessons'

                                                            Date: Tuesday, April 8, 1966

                                                                         Time: 2:17AM

                                                                      MICHAEL'S POV

"MICHAEL!"

I jumped from my seat. "Y-ye.......... yes?"

"C'mon! You have one more show, and you're done for the night!" I could barely feel Joseph's footsteps fade away from me...

Oh, I was so tired. Kayla and I, both, to be exact. After we started driving at about 8:45PM, we were exhausted. And we had to do shows tonight. OH, there was nothing more that I desired than sleep. Sleep...

Sleep...

"Michael!" Jermaine hissed. "C'mon, last one tonight! You gonna do your James Brown dance?"

"Rubbing my eyes, I yawned, "I do... don't know."

"Ugh!" he shouted in frustration. He grabbed hold of my hands and tugged me to the stage. He then promptly shoved a bongo in front of me. "Play when Kayla starts."

Kayla had a delayed start, of course. She had been delayed all night long. She and I... both.

Now that I was really thinking of this, it was strange, you know? The both of us being tired at the same times, on the same days...

 But I didn't want to think about it. Just focus... Focus, Michael. We gotta dance and play and... sleep. No! Dance...

After 'Shout and Shimmy' was finished being played, I half-joggedto the front of the stage an broke out into the best dance that I could. I moved and shuffled my feet... and it worked. The crowd was still happy.

I grinned, knowing that I did well, despite my exhaustion. This was it. The end of the night...

I only stayed on the stage to collect a couple dimes and even a quarter. After that, I lugged my body to the back of the stage and made a beeline for the truck. I could just sleep in the back of the car.

"Mich--ael," Kayla called, sounding as if she were going to pass out, "Can you help? Please........?"

"Mmm," I whined. "Fine!" I grabbed hold of some tambourines and Jermaine's guitar, and headed outdoors.

I didn't mean to sound as rude as I did, but... man, if you've been awake for over 20 hours, you would know what I mean.

"MMM!" Kayla cried back.

Even though I was on the verge of passing out, I giggled. She was mad, too. I looked over at her.

"You know.....," I started, "When you're mad.... Y-you cross your eyes..."

"Hhhffff," Kayla called to me. "And you... the... oh, the car!" she called wearily. "We're here..."

I peeked up. Oh, the car was here! Yes, BLISS. Kayla and I set the equipment in the car, and sa beside each other. Kayla mumbled something inaudible.

"G'nigh.... night, Kayla."

And I was out like a light.

                                                                           Date: ?