Chapter 14- Regular

Chapter 14- Regular

                                                 Date: Thursday, March 11, 1966

                                                             Time: 9:12PM

                                                            KAYLA'S POV

I merely whispered, "Bye," to the Jackson kids before getting out of their house. I mean, I wasn't upset of anything, but I wanted to just be away from everything. You know that feeling?

Michael responded, as usual, which was, of course, nice to hear. However, much to my surprise, Jermaine responded. Not by talking, of course, but he waved. That was a major improvement. Especially considering the way he was acting recently. For the past three or four days, he hasn't really talked to anyone at all, and I'm not sure why. I just figured that maybe teenage hormones were kicking in early for him.

And then I remembered: Tito hasn't even really gotten into his teenage hormone phase. Not to mention, Jackie was just coming out of it... Jermaine was probably not in the teen phase yet.

As I turned around to embark on my way home, I nearly ran into Elijah. I was happily humming the tune to 'Fingertips' when I bumped into his torso.

"Mmm-mmm-hmm-dmm-ooph! Wha- oh, I'm sorry, I-" I said, but was cut off my hand movements.

"It's okay," he half-gumbled. "I've got to talk with Joe for a minute. I-"

"Wait, what is it about?" I questioned. I could just feel my eyes widening to the size of basketballs.

"About... fine, you got me. About making you work daily. With the brothers."

I opened my mouth to say something, but no words came out. In fact, the only thing I could really think about doing is screaming. Another day? Are you nuts?! I work my butt of at least five times as much as you per day, and I don't get anything! This is just not fair! I...

My thoughts were cut off as Elijah lightly pushed me out of the doorway. I turned around, just to see Elijah sashay his monstrous body inside of the Jacksons' miniscule house.

Ugh... great, just great. Fine, Elijah! Fine, Joseph! Work your own way! I'm going home to savor my last moments of freedom!

And that's exactly what I did. I took huge leaps over to my house (as if I were flying) and sang 'Fingertips' to the top of my lungs.

Once I was inside, I literally kicked off my shoes and dashed into the living room. There, I twirled in place as many times as I could without crashing into anything. After that, I changed into my PJ's and sang a song that I made up, the 'Tissue Song'. 

And yes, just like the name, the song wasn't very creative.

"TISSUES, TISSUES," I screamed, trying to make myself feel better, "YOU CLEAN UP OUR MESSES...!"

It was about when I got to my 'chorus' that I heard the door to the house fly open 

Already knowing who it was that came in, I questioned, "So, what's going on?" without thinking. I wore myself out too much to really be aware of what e was going to say.

"Every day!" he yelped, a little excited. He grinned at me. "Happy?"

Once again, without thinking, I replied with, "Yeah, sounds fine." I yawned before throwing my arms around and shouting, "I'm off to bed!"

Elijah obviously noticed that I was wired, but he simply said, "Alright. See ya in the morning..." before trotting to the loveseat.

Semi-jovially, semi-wired up, I bounded to my bedroom and tucked myself in. And even though I was wriggling like an excited puppy in bed, I still managed to fall asleep.

And, even though I was happy, there was a little part of me that was aware of what was going on... Elijah, even though he may love me, was using me for income, even though we could be canning vegetables.

And then I remembered: I'd much rather be playing piano than canning vegetables. Be grateful, Kayla... 

I still couldn't shake that strange feeling from me, however, as hard as I tried.