Chapter 49- Christmas? Hanukkah? Kwanzaa?

                                                      Date: Saturday, December 16, 1966

                                                                      Time: 9:27PM

                                                                   MICHAEL'S POV

"And did you finish your weekly definitions?" Mommy questioned. I nodded zealously, waiting for the homework questions to be over.

"And your mathematics? From what I understand, you have to memorize your multiplication tables." She nodded to herself, patiently waiting for my answer.

While I was not overly confident multiplying by eleven, I nodded. "I'm good with that, because Kayla and I practiced during recess."

I watched the ends of Mommy's mouth twitch before continuing. I groaned, knowing exactly what she was grinning at. Every time I said a word with -ing at the end, it sounds like I'm saying 'in.' So, as a result, my sentence sounded more like, "I'm good with that, because Kayla and I practiced durin' recess."

I disregarded her smirk, however. All of the nice things she did for my siblings and I most definitely outruled that one little nitpick. For example, she liked to give us all allowances, even though we didn't have a lotta- ahem, lot of- money to distribute. She also went out of her way to make us tomato soup and rolls. The Lord knows just how much my siblings and I enjoy those rolls dipped in the soup.

Then again, she performed some questionable actions, as Kayla would like to put it. I remembered one time where she took my whole family out of Church to learn about the dangers of polio. I figured that it was pretty important, as the disease gave Mommy that limp, but the Church looked down upon that. To miss Church for any reason was almost like commiting crime. 

Then again, when you live in Gary, Indiana, crime is everywhere. Very rarely is it ever caught by our minute police population.

Suddenly, I heard a noise of concern from Mommy. I turned my attention away from my personal thoughts and focused on her. "What's wrong?" I inquired, folding my arms around my chest.

"Mmm," she said semi-absently, "your paper. You had to write about the importance of December Holidays, I see... Do you even know what Hanukkah is?"

I shrugged. "I dunno. But I guessed!" A wide grin spread across my face.

Mommy looked up at me, her eyes all serious-like. 'These are forbidden holidays," she explained. "We do not celebrate these holidays because they are against our religion."

I was confused. Why would someone want to miss out on a holiday? Wouldn't they want to celebrate as well? I had never met someone who didn't like holidays or celebrations. The closest I ever got to that is when Kayla refuses to danc because she supposedly dances worse than Jermaine when he began in the group.

I shuddered at that thought.

"Why?" I simply asked. I was really curious as to why this was prohibited. I thought holidays were supposed to make people happy, not make them serious!

"Because," Mommy said, "Are you a Catholic?"

I shook my head vigorously. "No, Mommy. I'm a Jehovah's Witness."

Mommy grinned a less sly grin before nodding. "Exactly. Are you... do you study Judaism?"

Once again, my answer was a no. Of course, I didn't practice Jewish beliefs! I already stated that I was a Jehovah's Witness! I could have sworn that I said that already.

Mommy bobbed her head up and down. "Of course, that is why you do not celebrate any of these holidays. Do you now have a clearer idea, Michael?" She resituated her gardener's hat a couple times.

"Well... what about that new holiday everyone is talking about? You know... the one that starts with a K."

"Do you mean Kwanzaa?" Mommy questioned. When I nodded, she abruptly shook her head. Translation: a very big no.

"Why?" I asked once again. I gazed up at Mommy, trying to reach her height. If I were only a foot taller... it would work. But then again, I grew quickly, so I was bound to reach her soon.

"We just don't, Michael. I'm sorry, baby, but as Jehovah's Witnesses, we do not celebrate these normal holidays. But it's the right thing to do." Mommy turned away, cracking open a book.

I was trying to figure everything out. If these holidays were bad, why were we being taught this at school? Why was it bad? Why did I have to avoid these holidays?

However, I chose not to ak these questions. They could have come off as rude or arrogant. Of course, I didn't want to seem arrogant. I was respectable, maybe... to a little extent. If I knew one thing about us Jehovah's Witnesses, it was that very few make it to Heaven. I, for one, wanted to go to Heaven. Badly.

I reckoned that if I did not question why I should not practice these religions, I would get on the Lord's good side. Maybe if I was on his good side, I would get into the kingdom of Heaven. After all, that's what I want. I don't want to just disappear or be mediocre. No, I wanted to go to the kingdom and live in a castle.

I tried remembering what I said to Ms. Simms one day. One day, I'm going to own a castle. I knew I was. I never said in which state I would be in, but I would surely own a castle. I was determined to. I had to.

I plopped a sweet goodnight kiss on my Mom's cheek before immediately dashing into my bedroom for the night. "G'night, Mommy... Uh- sleep tight."