Chapter 38- It Isn't Fair To Them

                                                           Date: Monday, August 7, 1966

                                                                        Time: 8:31PM

                                                                      MARLON'S POV

Jackie sighed without emotion. "Tsk tsk," he said absently, "lookie here, Kayla's lights are out again."

Tito added his own two cents to Jackie's statement. "And Mike retreated to the bedroom five minutes ago. We don't even have school in the morning, not for another month." He crossed his arms in a patronizing way.

"So...," I paused for a few seconds. What was going to happen? It was obvious that Michael and Kayla were doing something, but we couldn't place our fingers on it. Our long, knobby, nosy fingers...

"So, what? Spit it out!" Jermaine gave me a funny look. "What is it that you wanted to say?!" Soon, Tito and Jackie were staring at me in the same way. I began to shrink in the corner of the living room. Now, what was I to say?

Say it as it is, Marlon! My mind screamed at me. That's the best way to say it, right? And that's how you always say things!

I cleared my throat before responding. "Well, what does that mean, then? You know, Kayla and Michael...?" I lowered one eyebrow interrogatively, hoping for a quick answer.

My other three brothers exchanged confused glances with each other. Apparently they didn't know the answer to my question, either. Suddenly, I felt very intelligent. I asked a confusing question...!

After a moment of complete silence, Jermaine spoke. "Well... I'm not entirely sure, Marlon. We should probably address Mom and Joseph about this. However, I doubt either of them will listen. We may just have to-"

I held my hand up, stopping Jermaine in his mini-speech. "Wait, what if we're wrong? What if it's all a coicidence?"

Jackie gave me an incredulous look. "Do you call this coincidence, Marlon? This whole mess has been going on since Michael met Kayla. This is not a mess! It's been going on for a year now, and all on the same day! Marlon, if they were sleepy on the same day twice, then I would consider your reasoning. But this, this has gone too far!" He crossed his arms, a mean expression on his face.

"You can't prove that," I answered dryly. At least, I didn't think he could.

Jermaine, now as annoyed as Jackie had seemed, went to our bedroom. A few seconds later, he came out, holding the calendar with marked dates. As dryly as I had responded, he said, "Here's the proof." He pointed to each 7 as he flipped through the monthd. each one had an  and K marked on it, for Michael's and Kayla's first names. I knew that had meant that they both went to sleep early on those nights.

Yes, I believed that I was defeated, but I wanted to keep fighting. After all, I am Marlon, and I do not give up. I am as stubborn as a bull, as soft as titanium, as pliable as a diamond. I have not given up, I am not giving up, and I never will give up.

"Well, I need one or two more months. Just to be sure, you know." I put on my best serious face. "I mean it."

Tito groaned. "I'm not sure how much longer you can ask for, Marlon. It's been more than just coincidental, and you know it. And you also know that there is no one talking, because the lights are out and Michael is out cold."

"But I need another month," I pleaded. Maybe if I begged enough, they would cave in to me.

Tito and Jermaine exchanged glaces of stress and worry. Finally, Tito replied, that mean expression plastered to his face. "Alright, fine! We'll give two more months! But on one condition." He gave me a challenging look.

"Yes?"

"If you lose..." Tito eyed the room devilishly, "then you owe each of us a nickel, fifteen cents total. Understood?"

nickel?! But they're so hard to come by! And I pay for candy! But... I considered my options for a moment. Maybe this was the best choice for all of us.

"Challenge accepted," I replied. "Just wait and see. I work magic on people."

I hoped that I wasn't giving myself too much credit.