Chapter 7- Meet Lischia

                                                Date: Monday, February 7, 1966

                                                              Time: 9:22PM

                                                             KAYLA’S POV

I yawned loudly as I entered my house and walked to the kitchen. At first, I was actually thinking about getting something to eat. However, the more I thought about it, the more I believed that I desired sleep more.

As a result, I ended up walking to my bedroom, rather than getting something simple for dinner.

As I walked through the living room, I accidentally made eye contact with Elijah. He quickly looked away, not saying anything. He focused on the black TV screen, instead.

I felt a huge pang of guilt. I still hadn’t apologized for what I said the other day, and I think that it’s still fresh in our minds. I didn’t mean for it to come out the way it did, I really didn’t. But it wasn’t like I could reverse what I said now…

I knew that now would be a good time to apologize, but I just couldn’t. I felt too bad to really do anything with him.

I trudged away from where he was sitting, hoping that he would disregard me. I entered my bedroom, and threw my nightgown on.

It was about then that I realized that my nightgown was getting small. Normally, the gown would reach my ankles; now, it was in between my ankle and my knee. I guess that meant that I needed some new clothes.

I didn’t think it was the time to mention that to Elijah.

I crawled into my bed, and suddenly felt exhausted.I mean, I was exhausted to begin with, but this was overwhelming.

I couldn’t even pull the quilt over me entirely before I passed out cold.

                                                           JERMAINE’S POV

I pulled out the journal I had handy. It was time to write down what I saw.

Michael and Kayla, exhausted. Went to bed by 9:30, lights were out. Michael is out cold.

I put my pen back in my pocket and stared at my other brothers.

Randy questioned, “What you whiting on the paper?”

“Important stuff,” was all I said. I tried making myself as short as I could with him, because I think that he would tell Mom what I was doing.

He backed off then. Jackie came up to me and asked, “You got it all?”

I took a moment to realize that his voice didn’t really get much deeper than it previously was; in fact, his grown-up voice was… smooth, almost. “Y-yeah, I do. What about now?”

“We’ll take turns staying up to see what happens,” Jackie explained. “I take 11PM to 1AM. You take 1AM to 3AM. Tito takes 3AM to 4:30AM, and Marlon gets 4:30Am to 6AM. We’ll wake each other up, if Michael doesn’t wake us all.”

Marlon’s voice piped up. “Hey, why do I get 4:30 to 6? That doesn’t seem fair!”

“You’re talking,” Tito muttered.