Chapter 24- Explanation, Please?

                                                                               Date: ?

                                                                              Time: ?

                                                                      MICHAEL'S POV

"It's the Tom Cruise Guy!"

I heard a small groan come from the mini-sized, blue-skinned, Tom Cruise-reminiscent man. "Yes," he replied wearily, "It is... I, the Tom Cruise guy. Could you please call me something else?"

"Well, what's your name?" Kayla questioned, her eyes wide in excitement. I grinned at her strange enthusiasm. There was really no one I could relate her to. She was just simply... Kayla.

"I'll, um, tell you guys later. It's rather... different," he replied, an odd twinkle in his eye. I took that as a sign to be careful. What sorts of secrets could he possibly be keeping from us? I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to know.

"Oh, then... I guess I'll just call you Cruise. Is that okay?"

The man shrugged, simpering. However, I notied as Kayla was looking away, he just barely rolled his eyes. However, he was still grinning. Maybe he had a sense of humor.

A dry sense of humor, I should say.

"Wait, why are you here?" I questioned. I wanted an explanation about what just happened. I didn't even really know what went down between Lischia and Kayla. However, based on Kayla's faace, I wasn't sure if I wanted to know that.

"Alright, let's sit first," Cruise said, settling himself on the floor. "Come here, you two."

We obediently sat ourselves on the floor, cross-legged. We stared at Cruise, waiting for him to say something.

After a moment of doing absolutely nothing, he moved his head in my direction. "Why, Michael, you seem to be doing great. You definitely look much better since last time. I believe that means that the plan is working."

"You mean, the plan to make us forget some of the misery in our first life?" I asked, my eyes widening with anticipation and nervousness. I wanted him to say yes so badly...

"Mm-hmm," Cruise hummed, "Yep, that's the one. And Kayla, you seem to be doing well, too. You look more mature, more defined."

"Well," Kayla said, her cheeks blushing with a deep crimson, "Gee, thank you, Mr. Tom- I mean, Cruise."

Cruise huffed under his breath before continuing. "So you guys are probably wondering what happened just a moment ago." It wasn't a question. He was stating a fact.

We both nodded, Kayla more vigorously than me. Across the room, I gave her a daring look, as if to say, I challenge you.

To what? I'm not sure, but whatever it is, I'll do my darnedest at it.

"Okay," Cruise started, cutting off our competition, "So I'll tell you one thing about this place. First off, and just to clarify, you are not in Heaven. This is simply a checkup room. There is not as much protection here as there is in Heaven."

"So was Lischia evil?" Kayla inquired.

Shaking his head, Cruise replied with, "No, no, no! Lischia isn't evil; she has just been tainted with power. You see, just like schooling, these... instructors, if you will, have to go through training. Sometimes, our people are not experienced enough. Lischia was one of them. She will just be going back to training. After a few human decades, she will resume her position. That is all that happened. Please, do not go thinking that Lischia was a bad person, because she really isn't."