Chapter 21- Roosevelt High Talent Show

*************

                                                Chapter 21- Roosevelt High Talent Show

                                                        Date: Saturday, April 25, 1966

                                                                      Time: 2:37PM

                                                                      KAYLA'S POV

"We're here!"

Here we were, Roosevelt High. Same old, same old... except for the huge cream-colored banner in front of the main door, saying 'ROOSEVELT HIGH TALENT SHOW- SATURDAY 25TH!!!'

I took a deep breath of air before standing up in the back of the Buick. Today was the day of the talent show- the one we had been practicing for, for the past 3 weeks. Now it was time to prove to Joseph that we can win a big show.

Not to mention the handsome grand prize that would satisfy him. I rolled my eyes at the thought...

I hopped out of the end of the truck, carrying a plastic bag of food and such. In my other hand, I held Tito's guitar. Michael sashayed out of the truck, holding the other guitar and a pair of maracas. "Ready?" he askede, shaking one of the miniscule percussions.

I grinned. "Sure thing, let's get going." I strolled across the street, bringing the band items inside. 

On the way in, I mentally went over a checklist. Guitars, check. Maracas, check. Bag, check. What do I need...? Tamourines, bongos, drums... they have microphones already, and a piano. I should be fine. I'm all good, a-okay.

"What are you doing?" Michael asked me. Snapping out of my daze, I questioned him. "What?"

"What were you doing? You were staring at the ceiling, just sticking your tongue out. Just the tippy-tip, though. Like you were trying to taste something." Michael gave me a funny look.

I couldn't help but to giggle. "I... I didn't know that I did that. I was thinking."

"About what?"

I sighed, just because. "About... music, I guess. Sort of, maybe."

Michael gave me a suspicious look. "O-kayyyy," he drawled, eyeing everything else, but me. "Let's get this stuff set up."

"Mmkay," I replied, half-listening. I turned into the gymnasium and found the stage where the show would be held. Now following Michael, I headed behind the stage and placed the instruments there.

"Here, I'll stay here so the stuff won't get stolen by any meanies," Michael declared, jumping ot the top of the stage. "I'm KING of the WORLD!!!"

I giggled to myself as I dashed out of the gymnasium. Outside, I trotted over to Jackie and literally pulled the items out of his hands.

"Hey! What do you think you are, nuts?" he asked me.

"Excuse me, but you are the one wearing a salmon-colored belt on your white shirt like a goof," I retorted.

"Hey! It's in style," Jackie came back. "And Joseph picked it out."

"She's talking about the way it was put on, you schmuck!" Tito bellowed, resituating Jackie's belt.