Chapter 37- Neighborhood Stars

                                                           Date: Saturday, July 29, 1966

                                                                        Time: 4:58PM

                                                                     MICHAEL'S POV

When Joe turned his back on me, I sneered. How dare he mess with me and what I wear! I irritably tugged at my ugly striped tie, plotting on ways to get revenge on him. Big old meanie Joseph has to kill the fun...

As I was making myself miserable with nasty thoughts, Jermaine admired himself in the mirror. He retucked some of his shirt before turning his backside to the mirror.

In a joking manner, Marlon pointed out, "Not a good pose for you, Jermaine." Tito and Marlon both snickered. 

I was about to join the duo of cackling brothers when I saw Kayla emerge from the sea of my siblings. With a wide smile on her face, she waved to me. "What are we doing tonight? Why are we so... dressed up?"

I shrugged, not completely sure as to why Joseph was getting all of us dressed. "I dunno, Kayla. Maybe we've got some special gig in Chicago or something."

Kayla nodded absently, looking over at something else. "Or something... I'm going to go ask Joseph, I think." she bounced off, not saying anything else.

Jermaine turned around from the bathroom mirror. "Whatever it is, I'm ready now. If anyone would like to take the mirror-"

"Me! I've got to brush my teeth, as well." Tito hobbled to the front of the bathroom and snagged his toothbrush clumsily. He checked his hair out whilst brushing his teeth in circular patterns.

It was at that time that Kayla came back from Joseph. I was about to question as to why she came back so swiftly. However, before I could utter a single syllable, Kayla took notice at Tito and began singing.

"Brush your teeth, round and round! Circles small, gums and all!" She giggled quietly.

I stared at her oddly. "That sounded like 'Three Blind Mice'. Where did you hear that?"

She shot me an incredulous look. "I heard it last week, on Saturday morning cartoons. What were you doing? You usually watch the cartoons, too."

I shrugged. "I dunno, I guess I was busy annoying someone... Or eating crackers or something."

"Or something," Kayla repeated, still staring at me. She was actually beginning to make me feel uneasy. Then again, most girls at school are like that, too. Maybe it was just a gal thing.

I decided not to ask her about Joseph. It wasn't that important, anyways. In fact, I thought I may just go off and get some peanut butter crackers. 

The thought made my mouth water. Mmmmm...

Listening to my stomach rather than my brain, I promenaded off into the kitchen, in hopes of finding some peanut butter crackers.

                                                                        KAYLA'S POV

                                                                        Time: 5:14PM

"I can't believe you, Michael!" Joseph growled, dabbing at Michael's stained white shirt. Unfortunately, peanut butter does not come out very easily...

Michael scoffed. "What, you're trying to starve us? We can't even get a snack..." he folded his arms around his body.

Rolling his eyes, Joseph retorted, "I'm not starving you! I'm trying to make you look presentable! For goodness sake, Michael..." 

Not wanting to get in this fight, I turned away. I tugged at my little grey skirt, wondering why in the world we were so dressy for tonight.

I was also wondering when I could go to the store of something. Most of my clothes were really small...

Bored, I turned to my left... and saw a commotion of sorts outside. Intrigued, I walked over to the window in the living room and pulled the drapes out of the way.

Outside, we saw people crowding... around the Jackson house. People were talking and having fun and even dancing a little... and even Ms. Simms was there! She was talking with the new third grade teacher, Mrs. Parker. 

There was one thing I noticed about this gathering that was eminent from others. There was absolutely no fighting. There were whites and blacks all together, talking and even laughing with each other. There was even a white girl who was sweet on our next-door neighbor.

I loved the sight. Everyone was getting together. Whites, blacks, guys, gals, children... everyone. Even dogs and cats were here tonight, not fussing at each other.

Not peeling my eyes from the scene, I said, "Marlon... hey, Marlon..."

However, he didn't answer. No one answered. In fact, the room was completely reticent. My initial thought was, something's wrong. The Jackson house is as noisy as a house can get.

I turned around... and found no one inside. Where had everyone gone?

And then I heard it: a tunk-tunk on the window. I turned around and saw Marlon's face mashed up against the outer window. He motioned for me to come outside before promptly turninig and running in another direction.

I dashed outside, catching up with everyone else. Once I busted out of the front doors to the Jackson house, I heard a voice... singing, at a very, very high falsetto.

I felt goosebumps my arms. Rubbing them intensely, I looked up to find Michael singing acapella. The chills only began to run throughout my entire body.

Whoa, I thought, that Michael... he has a lotta talent. He could really be a star someday...

For once in my mini 'career', I felt proud of myself, of the band, and what we have accomplished.