Chapter 42- Marlon's Experiment

                                                     Date: Saturday, September 17, 1966

                                                                       Time: 12:31AM

                                                                     MARLON'S POV

I tossed in bed for the thousandth time, wishing that I could just go to sleep. I wished and begged and prayed that I coud fall asleep, or forget about my upcoming debt, or relieve myself from my worries and troubles and issues and...

But I couldn't. I had no idea how I was going to keep Michael and Kayla up to a decent time and keep them from getting up in the wee hours of the morning. It was just their thing. There was reallly nothing I could do about it. It wasn't like I could just shove some energy pill or drink into them and hope for the best. 

I had a lot of money that I owed my brothers, and they knew it. And, of course, Michael wouldn't lend me any money. Kayla only had about three cents, and the only reason why she had that was because she found it on the floor at school.

I had to face it: I was broke. I had no bread. No bread, money, wealth, none of it. And I owed a fortune of thirty cents to my three brothers. 

Technically, I owed fifty cents, because I borrowed a few coins from La Toya, as well. Even more panic began to set in and make itself at home in my guts. What was I to do in this situation?! I had nothing to give... 

Groaning, I turned over again, accidentally kicking Michael in the process. He woke up in a dazed state of mind. "M... Marlon... what're you doing? It's late." He yawned in my face, exposing his sleep breath that I detested so very much.

Trying to keep quiet, I moaned, "Ugh, Michael... I'm just thinking about stuff. You can go back to sleep now."

Of course, I now had Michael interested. "What kind of stuff are you thinking about? Maybe I can help."

"Shh, Michael! Keep your voice low. And it isn't anything you can help either. It's big kid stuff." I repositioned myself in bed.

"Well," Michael thought, "maybe vandy will help." Slowly, he inched out of bed and headed over to his teeny-tiny chest. He opened it up and pull out a bag. He sauntered back to bed, taking out a packet of candy corn. "Early Hallow-ween stuff, you see? Candy corn, and it's SO yummy." He plopped a candy into his mouth. "You want one?"

I shook my head. "Nuh-uh," I whispered. "I just need some time to myself... can you hear Mommy and Joseph? Are they awake?"

Michael shrugged innocently. "I dunno. Want me to check?"

I nodded exuberantly. "Yes, please. Quickly."

Michael exposed a toothy grin before jumping off of our bunk and and running over to the door. I cringed, hoping that none of my brothers would get up. 

Thank the Lord that they're all deep sleepers. The only one that even stirred was Jackie, and that was because he was on the bottom bunk, where sounds were best heard. I placed one hand on my heart, praising God above.

Michael came back to me, thumping across the floorboard. "They're asleep, you can go out... I promise I won't tell anyone."

A small wave of relief came washing over me. "Thanks, Mike. You saved me, I think. I'll see ya tomorrow."

"Bye, Marlon. I hope you feel less anxious tomorrow." Michael grinned a cheeky smile.

I nodded slightly before heading out the bedroom door. After I was out, I pressed my back against the wall and began to panic. What was I to do? What could I do to keep them awake?

Calm down, Marlon, I thought, just... try to find something entertaining for them. What do they like to do? Find their interests...

Well, I brainstormed, Michael likes candy. Candy gives bursts of energy. And, of course, Kayla loves root beer. That shouldn't be too hard. But what else could I do to really keep them up? It isn't like I can check on Kayla forever. She has to- wait... 

I began wondering if Kayla could spend the night. I mean, Milford has, on occasion, when his parents were out of town. I bet if I could convince my parents and Elijah... she could spend the night. Yes, it'd take a lot of coaxing, of course, but it may be able to happen.

And... what about sketching? Michael likes to play sketching games with me. Actually Kaya enjoys sketching, herself. We could do that as a starter, so that the sketches don't look completely awful. And staring contests! My goodness, Michael loves to play those! Oh, I had way more possibilities than I could have even begun to think of!

"Maybe," I whispered to myself, "I can do this. I could pull it off. Hey, maybe I could get them to stay up. But... what about keeping asleep?

Aw dang... I have something else to figure out!

Yes, my brothers really were going to have my arse this time.

But I had to try.