Chapter 41- Chewed Out

                                                     Date: Wednesday, September 13, 1966

                                                                       Time: 12:17AM

                                                                      MARLON'S POV

"Psst... Psst, Marlon!" Jackie hissed. "Get up, we have a private meeting. C'mon, get up!"

I moaned, turning over and cracking open the lid of my right eye. I could barely see the silhouette of Jackie standing over me. He looked as hough he were fuming. I wondered what could make him so upset. Maybe Michael or Tito ate the last of the Jello...

I groaned lightly. "Ungh... Mmhmm?" I entended my arms, cracking a couple joints. "Wah issit?" I attempted rubbing the sleepiness out of my eyes.

"It's about Michael," he croaked softly. "Now get out!" He stampeded out of the room, sounding frustrated.

I furrowed my brows in confusion. What could Michael have possibly done wrong? I mean, I watched him like a hawk today and saw nothing out of the ordinary. At school, he socialized with everyone. He didn't go to the restroom an unusual number of times. And he certainly didn't not eat candy, for he would have died.

I reluctantly trudged out of the bed, pulling the covers with me. Normally, I would have left them, because Michael usually sleeps with me. However, he is actually with Randy and the girls tonight, so we older brothers got the whole room to ourselves.

When I approached my brothers, I noticed that they were mad. No, mad was an understatement. My brothers were piping mad. They were livid. They were all crossing their arms and tapping their toes as if they owned this house.

"What is it?" I questioned as casually as possible, hoping to not anger anyone.

Well, my wish wasn't granted. After asking how everyone was doing, the room exploded with rude comments and throwing punches... all directed at me.

I ducked the first couple throws, but the third one got me right in the shoulder. After biting down on my cheek to keep from screaming out in pain, I exclaimed, "What was that for?!"

"For you debt," Tito simply answered. My debt?

"My debt?" I inquired. "I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about."

Jermaine rolled his eyes. "The bet, you dolt! You said that if you could prevent Michael and Kayla from their monthly sleeping habits, then you could get something. If you failed, however, you owed us a nickel apiece." He crossed his arms very matter-of-factly.

It was my turn to roll my eyes. "You said the results could last one or two months! I chose two just now." I grinned smugly, crossing my own arms. Yes, I felt very smart. Whizzy, even... if that was even a word.

Jackie frowned, and was ready to retaliate when Jermaine stopped him. "We did say that," he reasoned, shooting me a nasty look. "We did give him the choice."

My three older brothers stared at one another for what seemed like an eternity. Then, after a lifetime of waiting, Tito finally opened his mouth to say something.

"Fine," he admitted, "you can wait another month. But if you lose the bet this tiime, you owe us double. Got it?"

I owed them a dime? But they were so hardto come by! I mentally pouted as I looked through the pros and cons to this situation. To be honest, I didn't want to have to choose whether to pay or not because I didnot know the answer. Then again, that was the point. It was as though everything was a matter of chance.

More reluctantly than ever, I nodded. "Sure thing... but may I please have my sleep now?"

Jackie shrugged. "Suit yourself." He hand-motioned for me to leave the room.

I stuck my tongue out at them before leaving, just to show them that I had meant business. However, after turning so that no one could see me, my face grew worried. I could lose the bet. In fact, I probably would lose the bet...

Oh, my brothers were going to have my arse.