Chapter 9- More Tensions

                                                         Date: Thursday, February 18, 1966

                                                                           Time: 9:03PM

                                                                         MICHAEL'S POV

"... As long as I can talk about my girl," Jermaine finished.

Boy, I was more than glad. This was the last song of the night, and I was more than ready to get out of here. Not because i was tired, but more like because the spotlight was pretty warm. You see, Mister Lucky's just added two new spotlights into the room, and it's actually made the room warmer, despite their size.

I rushed off of the stage, ready to go home, to see Kayla up against a wall. I was confused as to why she was pressed up on the wall, making a scrunched face. I walked over to her to see if there was anything I could do to... help.

"Umm, what are you doing?" I asked as I approached Kayla.

She put her finger to her lips. "Shh," she warned me. She then hand-motioned for me to press my ear up against the wall. Slowly, I did as told and smushed myself on the wall.

I could hear some people talking on the other side. They were arguing, actually. However, I could only hear bits and pieces of what they were saying.

Kayla gave me a serious expression. All she said was, "Notice, Michael. A notice."

I was gonna ask her what she meant, but decided to listen in, instead. Maybe I would understand what she meant if I listened.

                                                                           JOSEPH'S POV

I walked into the manager's miniscule office. I had to talk to him about work.

Opening the door, he stood up, asking, "What seems to be the trouble, Mr. Jackson?"

"No trouble, none at all," I replied, waving my hands. "But I have to ask for a day off. I got the kids a spot in Valparaiso, and it'll take place in-"

"Wait," the manager said, stopping me mid-sentence, "You've already gotten a day off, last month. No more for you, we can't do that. Your Jackson 5 is half of the reason why we have as many customers as we do. We just can't, I'm sorry. End of discussion."

"Hey, it's ony one nght!" I snapped. We're short on money, and this place just isn't cutting it!"

"Well," he replied, grabbing a cigar and lighting it, "That's just the way the cookie crumbles. I'm sorry, but you have to go now. The next group is up."

I was really ticked off at this guy. So ticked, in fact, that I think I made a stupid move.

"I'm turning in the boys' notice tomorrow. We'll be taking another nightclub in March." I gave him a straight expression.

Based on the way he looked at me, I knew he was mad, but he tried playing it cool. "Alright," he said, shrugging his shoulders, "Do what you want, it's fine by me. I'll tell boss, and you turn your notice in tomorrow. You have two weeks. Take your day off, whatever, it isn't like he'll care."

"Oh, he'll CARE," I retorted, "My kids are the reason you have more money in your pockets!" And with that, I stormed out of the room.

When I exited the room, all of the kids were outside,waiting for me. "What was going on in there?" 

Great, I thought, what am I gonna say to all of these guys? I guess I could... lie? No, it won't get past Jackie or Kayla. But... I could bend the truth a little... yes, I could bend the truth!

"I... I got us a night off, for another gig. By the way, I meant to tell you guys... Our contract with Mister Lucky's expires very soon, so we all have to be on the lookout for a new place to hold a gig. Okay?"

I got a bunch of nods from all of the kids. Okay, they seem to be going with it... Oh, what am I gonna do? Mister Lucky's was the only nightclub in Gary that gave semi-decent pay. I'm gonna have to search a little...

I just ignored the kids and headed to the truck. I'd think about this tomorrow.