Chapter 29- Two Plus One

                                                        Date: Wednesday, June 1, 1966

                                                                     Time: 4:11PM

                                                                     KAYLA'S POV

"Rita?!"

I stopped in my tracks on the way back to the loveseat. Rita?... My mom?

I turned around, examining my alleged 'mom' before me. She didn't exactly look like she had in the picture. Well, she did, in a sense, just... not. Her tan was, as I said, hideous. She literally looked like a dried-up, pruny orange. And THAT is certainly not a great visual.

And her hair... where it was so long and free-flowing in the photo, she had it chopped into little chunks. She wore a headwrap, as if it would keep the wild chunks of hair from moving out of place.

In the picture, Rita had barely any makeup on, and what she did have was natural-looking. Here, she had some hot pink stuff slathered on her lips generously. Her eyelids were a yellowish-green in color, due to the excessive amount of eyeshadow she had.

And I didn't even know what she was wearing, but whatever it was, it looked sleazy. Very sleazy.

And, of course, being myself, I  could only come up with one thing to say, other than 'what happened to your tan?'

Instead, I said, "You're my MOMMY?!"

She gave me an incredulous look. "Well, gee, it hasn't been that long! Did you hit her upside the head or something, Elijah?"

Elijah stood in the doorway, sputtering strange illegible phrases. He was completely awestruck. "Weck-buh-... anph... How?"

To be honest, if I were in his place, I would be awestruck, too.

Before anyone else could continue, Rita jumped in. "Okay, so here's what I came to say. I-"

"Wait," Elijah interrupted, "aren't you supposed to be in Georgia? You said you'd move there..."

"Have you ever heard of visiting?" Rita snapped violently. Apparently, Elijah had some sort of weakness to her, because that little chihuahua snap had him sent back a few feet. I took that as a sign of caution.

"Anyways, what I aws going to say, before I was rudely interrupted," she carried, "I have something of yours-" she pointed at Elijah- "that you need to tend to." She puckered her lips unattractively.

After a second, she turned to me. "What're you doing?" she asked, sounding as if she were talking about something from McDonald's. 

You know, the nasty, gross stuff... From McDonald's.

I shuffled my feet while answering. "I, um, what do you mean?"

That was when I realized that I had been staring at her. Suddenly, I felt very embarrassed. I cowered down, feeling insignificant.

Well, to be completely, wholly honest, it was her fault that I was staring at her. If she wasn't wearing eight pounds of makeup, then I may have not gawked at her the whole time.

"Here, I'll getting your thing," she said, hopping off... in her four-inch heels. How can she even wear those? I'd break my neck!

After she left, Elijah and I exchanged weary glances. I knew we were both thinking the same thing: what in Heaven's name is she going to bring out?