Chapter 30- A Day In The (New) Life

• Dedicated to Those Who Helped Name The Baby

                                                       Chapter 30- A Day In The (New) Life

                                                             Date: Monday, June 6, 1966

                                                                         Time: 5:48AM

                                                                         KAYLA'S POV

 "Bye, Michael," I called, waving my hands about rapidly, like a young child.

And then, of course, I remembered that I was a kid... of seven years. Sometimes, that was still hard to remember. I swear, I was a teenager at one point. I had to have been! I ccan almost remember a time where I was watching television... but the memory never seemed to truly clear up.

I was distracted by my own thoughts as Michael jumped up and down, shouting 'BYE! Bye! Bye..." as if he were echoing.

And that, I thought, grinning, is what happens when you eat too many skittles.

Ah, but I couldn't really say anything. I ate a few skittles, myself. I would be a hypocrite if I got on to him.

I only stayed around another five seconds before heading out the door, glad that today was a short practice day. During the weekend, the brothers and I held a show on Saturday, which lasted until nearly 4 in the morning. Then, on Sunday, we had a talent show in Plymouth, Indiana. Of course, we had one first place and even $30.

Unfortunately, all of those winnings came with a price: sleep and comfort. And sleep is a big thing for me! Everyone needs eight hours of rest, and I only got between five and six hours every night... even on the nights with little to no practice. Of course, that is simply because I stay up late to watch the news. 

Maybe I was a bit of a hypocrite, after all. Ugh, I shuddered at the thought.

Once I approached my house and entered it, I made a beeline for the back of the house. I had some laundry to do tonight. After all, this was my week for laundry.

As I was throwing some stuff into the washer, I noticed that one of the Marlon's old shirts made their way into our laundry. Confused, I held it up into the light, to be sure that I was actually holding Marlon's shirt.

Yep, it was his.

I scrunched my face up. How on Earth did his stuff make its way over here? I decided not to dwell on it too long, though. I merely threw the shirt in the laundry and washed it, as if it were my own.

After I had everything started, I got to work on dinner. I figured since Elijah was investing a lot of time into the baby, it would be kind to take over dinner once in a while. However, there wasn't much that a short 7-year-old could do. Therefore, I was stuck with two choices: vienna sausages or ramen noodles.

Grimacing at the disgusting, cold sausages, I moved them from my sight and began to cook off the noodles. Surely Elijah wouldn't mind pasta three nights in a row, right?

After finishing and seasoning the food, I set out drinks and called him to the table. We both ate dinner in peace together, occasionally looking over at the baby.

Dinnertime was one of the few times of night that I truly enjoyed. It was one of the rare times that I got to spend with my Dad. Even though dinner was usually rather silent, it was a bonding time for us.

After we were finished with supper, I washed our used dishes and put them away. I told Elijah that he could have the TV for tonight, as I was feeling sort of strange. 

I got some of these strange feelings infrequently. Usually, I could overlook it, but once in a while, I just want to try dealing with it... alone.

After that was all done, I hopped in the shower for a quick cleaning and a hair treatment. The shower ended up getting cut short, however, because out hot water heater was faltering. As a result, I walked out of the bathroom, still wet and freezing like ice.

I changed into my nightgown and took out a sketchpad. I chose to take this time, from 7:30 to about 8, to try drawing some portraits, namely people like Natalie Wood and Lana Turner. However, by the time the clock reached 8, I had only drawn one of Bette Davis's eyes.

Sighing, I put the sketchpad up and tucked myself in. I guess it was time to go to sleep...

---

I heard a really, really loud bang. 

Now semi-alert, I sat up and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. What was going on?

After a moment, I saw the lights in the hallway turn on, and I could see the shadow of Elijah's feet through the bottom of the bedroom door.

When I heard the doorknob to my room turn, I ducked under the covers. I wanted to feign a state of slumber, so that Elijah would be silent.

Heheh...

However, instead of grabbing something in my room, he brought someone in. He walked over to my bed and set the baby on my pillow. He promptly left the room, not doing anything else.

Once I heard the door close, I reopeed my eyes. There stood my little brother, happy as he could be. Out of curiosity, he almost poked me in the eye, makig gurgling noises.

I giggled, pulling the covers over him. After I had him settled in the bed, I whispered to him, "Goodnight, little Charles..."

                        ***A/N: So Ashton and Charles won the name game! I had a few messages that narrowed me down to Charlie and Ashton, and had a really hard time choosing between the two. After about an hour of consideration, I finally chose both. So, here he is: Charles Ash Lee Wells. What are your thoughts?