Chapter 6- Tensions

Chapter 6- Tensions

                                                              Date: Monday, February 1, 1966

                                                                              Time: 9:12PM

                                                                              KAYLA'S POV

As I strolled out of the Jackson house, thinking about how easy tonight was, I saw two things that I wasn't particularly happy about.

The first one was Joseph. Ever since we had been at Mister Lucky's tonight, he's seemed grumpy. I actually began wondering if there was some form of tension between him and the owner. He seemed to have that effect on people, if you know what I mean.

As I collected the money from Joseph, I noticed the second thing that made me unhappy: Elijah. He looked steaming mad. If he were a cartoon, steam would be emanating from his ears. Not quite forcing the steam out, just emanating. Like he was almost ready to blow.

I tried ignoring him as I promenaded to my house. However, I should have known that something like that wouldn't have worked.

"Kayla, get your derriere in the house NOW!" He barked. I jumped about four feet in the air.

"... Fine," I muttered under my breath, speeding up my pace (but only a little bit).

When I got in the house, Elijah turned around and locked the doors to the house. He then turned to me, looking like a bull in a rodeo.

Okay, I know that was a corny way of describing the way he looked, but really. He looked like one of those rodeo bulls.

He didn't give me any time to say anything. Instead, he got up as close to my face as he could and and shouted, "Can you explain why you didn't go to the high school? It's your first day back from break, you should have gone there!"

After the Friday that I decided to rip up my slip, the school system had a winter break. Today happened to be my first day back. If I turned my slip in, I would have been attending Rebbie's classes in Theodore Roosevelt High. However... I didn't, and I'm here right now. Not in high school.

".......," was all I said at first. What was I going to tell him? That I ripped the slip?... Wait, wasn't the choice supposed to be up to me, how I wanted to work school out? Wasn't that what Ms. Simms said? 

Well, either way, there's no turning back.  have to work school out. I used up my only chance, and I knew that Elijah wouldn't like it. But, it wasn't like I was about to lie to him, no way...

"I... I, um, ripped the slip," I uttered, just barely above a whisper.

Elijah kwp his stare for a few seconds, as if he were trying to process what I just said. Then, suddenly, his expression turned evil, almost. His brows furrowed into a frown, his breathing got heavier, and one of his eyes started twitching.

"You ripped the slip?! Now why would you do that? Your first-grade teacher wanted you up there, obviously!"

"Second-grade," I corrected. 

"Second?" he asked. "You should be in first."

It dawned upon me that I told him I'd been a grade ahead all along. I covered my mouth, mentally slapping myself.

Hey, wait. Wasn't it the school's fault that they didn't keep up with records? Wasn't it their fault that Elijah knew nothing about my school life?

But as much as I thought about it, I felt bad for blowing the secret. Oh, well...

"What's WRONG with you?!" he shrieked. "I can't believe you'd be so stupid as to throw away your scholarship!"

"I didn't throw it AWAY!" I screamed, putting extra emphasis into the last word.

Our fight probably went on for another five minutes, Elijah getting madder as every minute passed.

"Well, she said it was up to me!" I retorted at one point in the argument.

"Yeah, and you are my daughter!" He barked.

"Not by blood!" I yelped. Noticing what I just said, I covered my mouth.

Elijah stopped at that last remark. His expression turned from furious to wide-eyed, and his brows changed their position. He looked at the floor, not daring to make contact with me.

"... Elijah, I didn't mean... I didn't want that to come out the way it did. I just-"

"Go to bed." 

I was slightly taken aback, but then relaized that I deserved it. Did I really just say that? He was my DAD!

Obeying him, I slowly inched across the living room and into my bedroom. I didn't dare ask him if I could have dinner.

And then, as I slid past him, I noticed his eyes clouding up, just barely...

What have I done?