Chapter 44- That's IT!

                                                           Date: Friday, October 7, 1966

                                                                        Time: 8:17PM

                                                                        KAYLA'S POV

Joseph clapped his hands together, making me fall out of my piano bench. "Okay, guys!" He bellowed, "tomorrow is the big night! Where are we going?!"

"Back to Valpraiso," the band and I muttered miserably.

"At what time?!"

I rolled my eyes as everyone replied with, "5:30 at night."

"And for how long?!"

I mouthed along to everyone elses' bored response. "Six hours."

"Alright," Joseph continued, "I'm feeling generous tonight. You guys can talk for half an hour, and then you go home and go to bed." He was specifically talking to Milford and I, which upset me. I'm pretty sure that Milford wasn't too thrilled about it, either. He seemed about as happy as I did.

Shaking my head, I jumped off the piano bench. If I was only going to be here for a while, I was gonna talk with Michael and Marlon. I was most definitely going to enjoy myself before I had to get back home and go to bed.

Bed...

All of a sudden, a wave of exhaustion came over me, setting my direction off. I swayed, trying to regain my stepping. It took me a couple seconds to stabilize myself.

Whoa..., I thought, my eyes suddenly growing wide, that was different. I blinked a couple times, trying to make sure that I was alright. I moved my fingers and hands in odd directions...

My reflexes were alright. I guess I just had a strange moment. I considered myself lucky, for I could have fallen flat on my face, if I hadn't taken any more discretion. That would have been pretty embarrassing.

I settled myself next to Marlon and Michael, making myself comfortable. "So....," I started, "how is-"

I was interrupted by a yawn mid-sentence. How... is... I furrowed my brows in frustration. I knew exactly what was happening, and I wasn't that ecstatic about it, either. I sighed, knowing that I would probably have to go home soon.

As I checked over at Michael, he began yawning, as well. I took that my mild surprise. Maybe tonight's just an early night or something...

When I looked back, I noticed Marlon staring at me intently. It was as if... there was something on my face.

I immediately assumed that was what the problem was. "What? Do I have a booger?" I questioned, suddenly feeling embarrassed. Of all things, I had to assume that?

Marlon snapped out of his mini-trance. "Huh? Oh, nah. I was... I was just thinking..." He stopped fr a few seconds, a slightly panicked expression appearing on his face. "Do you, um... do you want a root beer?!" He shot up from his seat and dashed to the kitchen.

"... Well," I started, coming back to Michael, "that was different."

Michael simply shrugged. "I dunno what's goin' on. He's been like this all day. Didn't you see him at school?"