Chapter 5- Into The Windy City

                                                         Date: Thursday, January 28, 1966

                                                                         Time: 3:36PM

                                                                          KAYLA'S POV

I sat myself at the piano bench, and cracked my knuckles a little. I picked up the 50's Hits book and opened it up to Frankie Avalon's A Kiss To Build A Dream On, and reread the notes.

As I was reading through the book, I heard Joseph stomp into the room. Michael grimaced as he sat down in the lawn chair.

A few seconds after he settled himself, he got back up and walked over to the coffee table. He picked up a large paperback book and trotted over to me.

I shrank a little in my seat. 

... He handed me the book. "We're gonna have to practice hard tonight. I got us a spot in Chicago tonight, and we're gonna be doing a lot." He pointed at the back of the book. "Flip to this song."

My eyes (which were the size of baseballs by this point) turned back to their normal expression, and I flipped through the book.

Ticket To Ride... Eve Of Destruction... Heart Full Of Soul... The Race Is On... I'm A Foo- Wait, these songs are pretty recent!

I took a peek back at the cover of the book. Hits Of 1965.

Oh, I thought, he wants us to be as recent as we can be. Okay... 

I found the page to the song 'Little Things', by Bobby Goldsboro. I cracked the book open and set it on the piano. Looking back, I could see the boys in their places, ready to go.

I snuck a glance at Joseph. He was doing these strange hand-motions at me. It actually would have looked like a butterfly if the room was dim. "Go!" he finally whispered (loudly).

I mentally shook my head as I began the first few notes. This made me wonder why we couldn't raise money by simply making lemonade stands.

Oh, yeah, we need a permit for that. Never mind.

About halfway through the song, I goofed on a note. I hoped to God that Joseph wouldn't notice.

Of course, he did notice my mistake. Heck, he has the ears of a bat.

He came up to me and started complaining that I should be doing this and that instead of whatever the book says. I unintentionally rolled my eyes... and he noticed.

He was about to slap me when he put his hand down. "You women," he muttered before sauntering back to his seat. "Again!"

I could just see him cracking a whip at one of us, snickering like the devil. I really could.

I suddenly felt really bad for thinking of something like that. I'm horrible...

Shaking my mind off of my rude thought, I put all of my focus into the music, the piano, the sheet music. I tried putting as much soul as I had into the music.

Luckily, this time around, no one got chastised. Thank heavens for small favors...

                                                                          MICHAEL'S POV