Chapter 48- Curiouser and Curiouser

                                                        Date: Thursday, December 7, 1966

                                                                       Time: 8:24PM

                                                                   KATHERINE'S POV

"Let me see what you have, Randy," I urged. I wanted to see his lovely drawing of a squirrel. However, it seemed as though he did not want me to see it.

"No," he replied straight to my face. He buried the piece of paper by sitting on it. "You can't look at my photo because it is not a squirrel."

I furrowed my brows. "But that's what Jackie told you to draw! He even made basic curves for you!" I wanted to see Randy's little squirrel.

Randy stuck to his guns. He shook his head vigorously. "Nuh-uh," he responded, "because it is a snake. It's a slithery snake, Mommy."

"Ooh," I gawked, changing the subject on purpose. "A slithery snake? Can I see it? Pretty please?" I put my hands together, as if I were praying.

Randy mouthed 'no' to me. When I asked 'why' once again, he answered back. "Because, Mommy, it's a squirrel."

I put my hands to my forehead. Randy was just so argumentative. In fact, he was much too argumentative. If he didn't watch his mouth, he was bound to get in trouble later on. This was the time to start molding his character.

Of course, I would not rather have him any other way than himself. After all, who likes some one without any personality quirks? Everyone had them, and Randy would have them, too. Randy was a special little baby boy.

Randy was my last baby boy.

I heard a yawn from across the room. I instantly turned my attention from Randy to Michael. When he caught me staring, he waved. "I think- I fink-think that I may go to bed... Go-oodnight, everyone." He threw his hands up in the air, as if to give one last 'goodnight'.

And, with that being said, he dawdled off into his bedroom, ready for a good night's sleep.

It wasn't even a second before he was out of the room that whispers started going around. The girls weren't so much into the whisper as my boys were. Jermaine and Tito were especially involved in this group conversation.

I chose to join. "So, what are you talking about?" I asked, folding my legs. I wanted to know what this sudden outburst of talking occurred.

At that instant, I realized that I sounded just like my Geometry teacher from high school. My eyes widened at the thought, but I managed to shake it off just in time to create a convincingly serious facial expression.

Jermaine peered from one side of the room to the other before leaning towards me. After coming as close as he humanly could without crawling into me, he whispered, "Did you notice what day it is today?"

I thought for a quick moment. "The... I want to say that it's maybe the 7th? Or is it the 8th?" I tapped my chin in wonder.

Tito simply hand-signaled '7' to me with his fingers. The seventh...

I will admit that Michael' s sleep schedule was a tad peculiar, but there was really nothing to question about. Nothing was wrong with Michael, as he was in tip-top condition. He couldn't just get some defect... just like that, could he?

Numerous questions answered my mind at that point. Could he have a damaged sleep schedule? Did he sleep every night? What importance does the seventh of every month have? It was all much too confusing. And, to be entirely honest, I was quite exhausted myself, so I had not felt like doing a lot about the situation.

After a moment or two of considering, I finally let the subject go. "One time is a mistake. Twice means coincidence. Ans three times... It's on purpose, or it happens for a reason. 

Of course, there was a reason behind this! Maybe Michael and Kayla had some secret form of comunication available. Maybe they liked to send paper airplanes or soemthing of the nature. After all, that was what I used to do as a little girl.

Relax, Katherine, I thought to myself, you're just imagining things! Ha, you're just as bad as Kayla can be. What is it that she calls herself? A worry wart, that is what I am. I worry too much. Just relax. Relax...

And, with that mental debate being over, I ast back in my chair and watched as the children draw from only a couple simple curved lines. Dragons, lizards, mermaids, golden cities, and a bagel were all drawn by my children. 

They were my children. My wonderful, gifted, talented children who were incomparable and beautiful and...

I sat back in my chair, now smiling at how I went from Michael's sleeping patterns to the beauty of my children.

Ha.