Chapter 13- Patterns

                                                    Date: Sunday, March 7, 1966

                                                               Time: 8:58PM

                                                              KAYLA'S POV

There are some days where I can't do anything but thank the Lord for Sundays. Today happened to be one of those 'lovely' days. Yes, I was tired again. And the worst part: my exhaustion seemed to be getting worse.

At first, this fatigue spell was mild. I wouldn't feel a hint of exhaustion unless I looked at a bed, and it had to be past 9 o'clock. But, of course, that was when I first started remembering things. Now, six months later, I start feeling tired after about 8:40. I mean, I don't feel like I could pass out on the spot, but I wasn't comfortable, either. I have yet to find out the cause of this fatigue spell.

Groaning under my breath, I slammed my book (Old Yeller) shut and tossed it on the coffee table. I stood up straight and extended my arms and legs as far as they could go, whilst cracking my knuckles.

Yes, I knew it was bad for your joints and whatever, but at the moment, joint pain was at the back of my mind. Besides, I wouldn't start feeling joint pain until I was older. Like 30. 

See? No worries.

Nonetheless, after stretching, I eased into the kitchen to fetch a quick drink of water before going to bed. I filled one of Elijah's plastic cups half full of water before drinking.

However, it was only after two sips, that my body told me to go to bed now. I frowned at this sudden feeling, but in the end chose to oblige. Reluctantly, I poured the rest of the cup outside, for the weeds to soak up.

What? We've had a drought. The plants needed something. And everything, including weeds, have souls. I only found it fitting to help them out.

I placed the cup in Elijah's baby-size kitchen sink before sauntering back to my room. I sluggishly took off my shirt and threw on my nightgown, not even trying to bother with my skirt. In normal circumstances, this would felt uncomfortable, but weariness was taking over my body. I just didn't care anymore.

I slowly crawled into bed, trying to pull the covers over my head... and before I could pull the quilt up, I was out. Cold.

                                                             MICHAEL'S POV

                                                                 Time: 9PM

I kind of passed out on the couch. By accident.

I think Rebbie won't mind, right?

                                                            JERMAINE'S POV

I was just chewing on a piece of bubblegum, making insufficient bubbles, when I saw the lights in Kayla's room suddenly go out.

I actually wasn't the one who noticed anything. Tito did. He was conveniently standing next to me when this happened. As I was chewing on the now-tasteless bubblegum, he nudged my shoulder.

Not knowing that Kayla fell asleep, I gave him an angry look. "I'm telling Joseph."

Tito glared at me. "Jermaine! You always act like you're three years old! I was gonna tell you that Kayla's lights are now out."