Chapter 11- Light... Bulb!

                                                 Date: Saturday, February 27, 1966

                                                                Time: 2:19AM

                                                              JOSEPH'S POV

I lay in bed, wide awake. It was past 2 in the morning, and I couldn't fall asleep. I was too stressed to do anything like that. I had so many financial issues headed my way. I'd been laid off of work since June last year, and I basically cut off my biggest chance of money last week. In fact, the boys and I only had ten work nights left before we had to walk out.

I turned over, shaking the bed that Kattie and I shared. She stirred just slightly, but didn't move.

I stared at her. It was only going to be a couple months before the baby was here. And I knew that this one was going to be trouble. This pregnancy was... eminent from the others. Her emotions were just out of whack. Usually, she never really knew until she was a couple months in. This one... this one would prove us different.

I also had a feeling that this one would be our last.

How on Earth was I going to care not only for all of my kids, but for Kayla's and Milford's families, too?!

Well, I considered, Milford's family has more financial support. His dad still works at US Steel, and his Mom works at that donut shop... I could actually cut Milford off. But still, I have to offer money for twelve people, counting myself. We were earning a mere eight dollars a night... Ah, what am I gonna do?!

Slowly, I raised my hands from underneath the blanket and reached my head. I let my fingernails dig into my scalp. After all, the pain was distracting me from my stress.

After my silent fit, I situated myself in ned, once again. I'll have to resort of picking up cans after ball games. Maybe I'll have to go back to that dreadful farm, where everyone canned vegetables. Or maybe...

I didn't want to think about it. Even without it, I was nearly on the brink of insanity. They really had no idea how hard it is... to be the man of the family. To always keep a straight face, even in dire times. To keep looking positively. To be stubborn. Sometimes, I just wanted to crawl underneath our bed and never come out. However, I knew that because was the man, I had to be the strong one. The one who had to keep fighting. The chivalrous knight in shining armor.

Despite my stress, I chuckled at the thought of that clever analogy.

Then, somewhere in the middle of my little, unnecessary chuckle, it struck me like lightning. My eyes widened as I came into obvious realization. I nearly yelped from my great, yet simple idea.

Lifting one finger from under the blankets, I whispered, "Light... bulb!"

"Mmmh..."

I cocked my head to see Kattie moaning in her sleep. Sometimes, she did that. She frequently had strange outbursts of moans, giggles, and sometimes even words. It was rather amusing to see, actually.

I turned my head back, thinking about my brilliant plan that was right under my nose the whole time. It would be simple enough, yes it would.

I would do what was the rage: chitlin' circuits! All of the groups were doing them now! Even some famous people were! Take Gladys Knight, for example. Oh boy, now all I needed to do was find a suitable place.

Of course, I would still search for nightclubs, as any financial support was helpful, but this plan was destined not only to get us money, but to have us gain some recognition. Who knows, maybe my dreams of being a musician will come to fruition... through the kids!

I heard a strange sort of groan come from Kattie, which actually scared me, as much as I wouldn't want to admit it. Out of surprise, I sent my head fllying back to my pillow. I ended up missing, and smashing my head against the headboard.

Normally, I would yelp, but I was too happy to really notice any pain. I just disregarded the hit, and settled my head on my pillow peacefully.

It was only a matter of seconds before I drifted off into a peaceful, deep, dreamless state of rest.