Chapter 22- Cars Are Not My Friends

                                                           Date: Monday, May 4, 1966

                                                                     Time: 3:06PM

                                                                     JACKIE'S POV

Ooh, I was so overjoyed that I ould skip! I felt high in the sky, up with the birds, singing their sweet song...

"Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!" I shouted through the school halls. "I've got it! I've got it!"

"Hey, Jackie," one kid called. "Happy birthday, even though you don't celebrate. You know..."

"Thanks!" I waved slightly before galloping off, outside of the school and into the fresh outdoors. Oh, the fresh, earthy, sweet, amazing outdoors, how I relished in it's basking warmth!

I took notice of all the beautiful little flowers on the way to the back of the schoolyard. Every little flower twitching in the daylight, the tiniest bug crawling up the side of a rough, barky tree, the vibrant green leaves dancing in the wind... Oh, how had I never noticed such wonderful things?

Maybe it was because it wasn't my fifteenth birthday! Some may ask why this was such a special day. The reason? Test driving! 

No, I have no permit, but I can still try the car out. And as long as I'm not caught, I'll be okay. There are barely any officers, anyways. It'll be a breeze.

I laughed as I reached the metal shack in the back of the school. Inside, I saw the person I was looking for.

"Hey, Johnathan!" I called, still gaily chuckling.

"Hey, bud. Wanna do a little testing?" he asked.

"Sure thing," I replied as nonchalantly as I could. It took me nearly all of my strength and power to keep from freaking out and running around like a five-year-old boy.

"Alright, here are the keys. Let's go over the basics first." Johnathan strolled outside and led me to this 1958 Chevy Apache. I eyed it excitedly as I saw him open the pasenger door. "Come in the driver's side," he called, shutting the door.

I bolted to the other side and shut it tightly, ready for my little 'lesson'. "Okay, what do I do?" I questioned.

Johnathan cracked his knuckles. "Alright. So this-" he pointed to a lever- "is the driver pedal. The harder you press, the faster you go. This-" he rapped his fingers against a stick- "changes the gears. I think that's it. You'll learn the rest on the way."

"Wait," I said, not sure of the gear thingy, "what does this gear mean? How do I park?"

Chortling, he replied with, "You'll learn soon enough. Just try driving on the track beside the school. You have five minutes, okay?"

Still unsure of how safe this was, I said, "Alright. I guess I will..." I was trying to find something else to add on to my sentence, but couldn't find anything.

Johnathan clapped his hands, producing a thunder-like sound. "Right on... see ya in five minutes." And he left the car.

I sat in the car for about five, seconds, trying to ready myself for anything that could go wrong. What if...?

"C'mon, I haven't got all day!" I heard Johnathan scream. Startled, I pressed my foot on the pedal, sending me about fifteen feet forward.

"Aow!" Johnathan cried, giggling. Through the windows, I could hear, "That was good! Only you should be steering, too!"

I grunted before turning the car around. I would show him... there was no need to be sarcastic. I veered into the track and tried to circle a few times. I administered the first circle prefectly. The next three... I nearly crashed into walls.

Now frightened after nearly totaling the car, I stopped. I ran over to Johnathan and threw the keys at him. "Here ya go!" I called, tossing them. And with that.... I scurried to the road, where I walked home.

Maybe I was a tad too young...

                                                                           Time: 3:34PM

Home, sweet home...

Before stepping foot in my house, I took a moment to savor the outdoors. I may have overreacted at school today, but sometimes, you just have to realize how lucky you are to be on Earth, you know? Even in the Steel Town of Gary, there was a little foliage. I should never take it for granted.

However, I find myself taking it for granted nearly every single day...

Taking my mind off of that depressing thought, I pulled the front door open. What I saw inside was nothing short of a complete mess.

Michael and Randy were wreaking havoc in the living room, sneaking up behind Kayla. Kayla was reenacting something to Tito, who I haven't forgiven yet. Marlon and La Toya were chasing each other around the room, and Jermaine was screaming in frustration. It was total chaos, needless to say.

"HEY!" I shouted, hoping I would get their attention. Fortunately, it happened to shut everyone up. They turned their undivided attention to me and stared, like dogs do.

"I-- I, um," I stammered, "what would Joseph say? You know, if he was here? Right now? Y-you know?"

Marlon spoke up. "Well, alright, DAD, we'll stop... just for you." He turned away, quietly sitting himself on the couch.

La Toya cleared her throat, picked up little Randy, and strutted out of the room. However, before leaving, she said, "Rebbie's in the kitchen. She said she wanted to talk to you."

"Oh," I replied, suddenly whispering, "alright, I'll be there."

With everyone else still gawking at me from my outburst, I shuffled into the kitchen. Inside, I found Rebbie, mixing cookie batter.

That was the point that I forgot about Rebbie wanting me. My attention was all on the batter, and how to annoy her. A devilish grin spread across my face.

I tiptoed across the kitchen, trying not to make any noise. Once I saw Rebbie turning around, I hid behind the closet door. Satisfied, she turned back.

Coming out of hiding, I skidded across the kitchen floor, just behind her. I looked around, trying to find some form of a distraction.

Not coming up with a great idea, I threw a roll of paper towels at a flower vase, knocking it over. Rebbie turned her attention to the now-cracked vase while I scooped myself some of the batter. As I shoved the spoon in my mouth, I heard Rebbie calling me out.

"Jackie! For Heaven's sake, you just can't handle NOT bugging me, can you?!"

I giggled.

                **N/A: Filler... Haha. I hope you liked this, even though it was completely unnecessary.