Chapter 29: Tears

-------Abigail's POV--------

"Mom?" I whisper. Her eyes sparkled as she spread out her arms. I jump out of the thin sheets and run into her embrace. It really was her, my mom. She smelled of daises instead of her usual rose but she still smelled delightful and comfortable. Her cotton shirt felt soft against my neck and I clung onto her as if she was my lifeline.

I begin to bawl and she stroked my hair and patted my back. "You came, you care, you care," I sobbed into her shoulder. She laughed lightly, her laugh still the same one I always knew.

"Of course I care, Abi my girl, of course I care," She reassured me. I pulled back and looked her in the eyes. Her cheeks were fuller and her eyes back to life. She was healthy and well, she was amazing. She smiled and wiped a stray tear from my eyes with her thumb. "Of course I care," she whispers again, "why whouldn't I?"

I struggled with my words as hiccups stopped them every three seconds. "You-you never w-w-wrote m-me o-o-or c-called."

My moms face crinkles. "Oh, sweetie. I wanted to, every single day, hour, minute, and second. I thought you didn't want to hear from me. Oh my darling," she pulls me into another strong embrace. "I will always care and love you, always."

My lips curled into a smile and I choked out, "I love you too, Mom."

She lets me go and smiles at me, running her fingers along my cheeks. I smile and lead her towards the bed. We both sit down and Gran grins.

Gran... that old women's always got something up her sleeve. She says it's from when she worked in the White House. She says that she used to have a fling with one of the secret service men and she would always have a surprise for him. Whether it was food, a present, or something involving sex. Gran is special... But I love her. She's probably the one who convinced to the rehab people to let Mom out to come see me.

And Gran can convince anyone. Trust me.

Mom told me that I should be in bed, with me being sick and all. I was still super weak but I couldn't care less if I was dying. My mom was here. She tucks me back into the bed and her eyes land on the table next to me with tattered Ellie.

Her eyes soften and she quietly asks, "What happened?"

A few tears sprung into my eyes and I looked out the window staring into the town. With a low voice, I tell her, "Adam happened. He took Ellie away and promised. He p-promised me that h-he wouldn't hurt her," I say, my stuttering words tripping me up.

Mom strokes me cheek and pushes some hair out of my eyes. The sides of her mouth lift into a sympathetic smile. "It'll be okay, Abigail. Tell me everything, sweetheart. "

I nod, a few tears running down my face. The lump in my throat doesn't move but just stays. I force it back down and I listen to my mother. My mouth opens and I tell her and Gran everything because I know, it'll be okay.

-----------Adam's POV-----------

I jerk open Principle Fargo's office door and sprint down the hallway. Teachers yell and students get shoved as I run towards the front doors. The security guard is standing there making sure that nobody leaves but I just ignore his yells and bust through the doors running towards my car.

The guard starts to chase after me but I was too determined to let this guy catch me. And it was much to my advantage that he seemed to have eaten way to many donuts this morning. I fling open the door and slam it, immediately stepping on the gas. I still see the guy barreling after me but the car finally moves just as he reaches me.