Chapter 13 - What Does Pain Have To Do With It?

“Are you sure he will come?” I asked Derek as we were walking back to his car.

“Yes.”

“How do you know?”

“Because I know how to use my senses.”

“Can I do that?”

“In time. I will teach you how, but first we need to get our numbers up. The bigger the pack the stronger we are. It will also make your senses stronger and easier for me to teach you.”

“How many more people do we need?”

“At least two more, not including Isaac. I’m hoping Scott will eventually join us, but that’ll be difficult. He doesn’t want to lose Alison.”

“But she’s an Argent, wouldn’t him being a werewolf technically mean he’ll lose her anyway.”

“Yeah well, you try telling him that.”

“Do you need me to pick anyone else out or do you know who the others are?”

“I’ll need your help. I need teenagers.”

“Why?”

“Because someone between the age of 15 and 20 has the best chance of surviving the bite and the last thing we need is more unexplained deaths which would give the hunters more of a motive to come after us.” We reached the car and Derek opened the door for me.

“Thank-you.”  I said as I got in the passenger’s seat. As I was sitting there waiting for Derek to get in the car something came to me. “Derek?”

“Yes?”

“I have school on Monday and unless I bail on half of my classes Scott will be able to smell the beta in me, and if he finds out than he will tell Alison and if she finds out she may tell her parents. I doubt she would because they don’t want her anywhere near Scott, but if they find out does that mean they’ll try and kill me?”

“No. Well maybe.” I quickly looked at Derek. “Only if they have proof that you have spilt human blood, which you haven’t, they have a code that they follow. However that doesn’t mean they will falter in pulling the trigger if you go near them. Under a full moon if they find you they may try and kill you, but until then you should be safe.”

“Ah Derek, the full moon is this week.” He didn’t say anything for a while, he just started the engine and headed back down the road to the old train station.

“I can lock you up.” He finally said.

“Oh, you mean with the same kind of chains I helped Stiles buy yesterday for Scott.”

“No. Stronger ones.”

“I don’t think you can get stronger ones.”

“I have them back at the station. Because you’re female you’ll be stronger then Scott under the full moon, and able to take more pain.”

“What does pain have anything to do with it?” I asked a little nervous. All Derek did was briefly look at me than back at the road. I had a feeling that the full moon wasn’t exactly going to be a favourite past time.