Chapter 44: Beauty and The Beast

#17 in Crazylove story. Yay!!!! Thank you everyone. You made this happen. 😁
Big thank you!

DEBBY'S POV

We make mistakes most of the times and some mistakes lead to regret, while some leads you to a happier life and the smallest percent left, leaves you deep in thoughts.

I kissed Caleb back and I enjoyed it because my heart told me to but my head keeps telling me this is not a mistake I want to make.

And this is a mistake that's among the smallest percent left.

I immediately stop kissing him and look away, allowing my head take over my heart.

"I'm sorry. I'm really really sorry. I didn't mean to. I shouldn't have." he starts to ramble and I feel bad immediately and turn to him.

He rubs his face with his hand, his brows furrowed and an apologetic look on his face as he groaned.

I take his hand and try to maintain eye contact with him.

"It's not your mistake. I kissed you back." I tell him sincerely, hoping it eased his worries. I was at fault too. It wasn't just his mistake.

"Then what's wrong?" his eyes searches mine as he holds my gaze.

"It's just... " I look at the ground, ashamed of what I'm about to say.
"This is my first kiss." I almost whisper and I could sense his shock.

"Oh. I - I didn't know."

"Of course, you didn't. I didn't tell you." I cut him off, my eyes till staring away from his.

An awkward silence settles in and I fidget on my feet, my hands still in his. I could sense he was both sorry and worried but didn't have anything to say.

I keep my eyes at the ground, my heart playing a game of drums as my nerves were getting the best of me.

"Do you regret it?" he suddenly asks.

"Of course not." I look up into his eyes to give him assurance that I wasn't lying.

He gives a small smile which made me even more nervous.

"Debby." he calls me and I stop moving from one foot to the other and look up at him.

His hands hold my arms as he looks down into my eyes, his, strikingly serious.

"I'm really sorry about Tope. I'm sorry I brought this upon you and I really want to make it up to you. I really like you a lot and I don't think I've ever felt this way in a long time."

I gulp, my heart fluttering at his words.

"I want to be able to protect you and fight for you but I can't."

At this, my heart fails me, and start to hurt.

"I can't protect you because I only cause pain to those around me. If I let you stay around me, I'm still going to do you more harm than good."

Evey word he says stabs my heart over and over again.

Am I getting rejected now? Is this what rejection feels like?

"Debby. Debby." his voice booms me back to reality and I heave off his hands.

"You're just like every one of them!" I snap at him and shock took over his face.

"Now you've gotten what you wanted from me, you want to walk away like nothing ever happened."

"Debby, just listen to me."