Chapter 18: Blunt, Brief and precise

"Well, that didn't go so well." Annabel sounded disappointed, probably blaming herself since she was the one who suggested we go to the field.

"It's not your fault." I tried to ease her worry but her reply got me staring.

"Of course not!" she exclaimed and the girls chuckled.

I blinked. "Oh." then shook my head with a smile on my face.

She has a mind of her own.

"So, where to?" Amanda asked and they all started staring at me, waiting for a reply since I was the one who needed to be cheered up.

"I'm just tired. Let's go back to the hostel. I need to lie down." I rub the side that got hit by the ball. It ached a lot and I could feel a headache coming on.

They all nodded in unison and we all walked towards the hostel. When we reached the second room before the stairs that led up to the other rooms, Anita hugged us goodbye and went into the room.

We climbed the stairs in silence to our room and unlocked the door before entering.

Everyone lets out a sigh before climbing into their beds. Today had been really eventful and everyone seemed to be really tired.

When on my bed, I unlocked my phone to check if I had any missed calls from Eric or Dare but was greeted by three missed calls from my dad.

"Oh my goodness. I'm so dead." I sat up immediately to call him back. The girls must have heard me because they all sat up, sharing questioning looks with each other.

"Hello, dad. Good evening." it was already 5pm and he had called an hour ago. He must be really mad.

"Good evening, Debby. Where did you drop your phone?" his voice was as sharp and blunt as ever.

"In my room." I lied hoping I sounded convincing enough.
"I went to the library to read. I wanted to avoid any distractions." I caught a glimpse of the wide eyed girls staring at me with their mouths opened.

"Hmm. OK." he replied and I almost sighed in relief.
"I can see you're taking your education seriously."

"Yes, sir."

"That's good. Hope you're eating well?"

"Yes, sir."

"Sleeping well?"

"Yes, sir."

"Hope no problem?"

"No, sir."

"OK then. I just wanted to know how you're doing."

"OK, sir."

"Take care of yourself."

"You too."

"OK. Bye."

"Bye."

I hung up and let out a steady breath I had been holding subconsciously.

And that's my dad, Mr. Kelechi Valentine. Blunt, brief and precise. You don't want to mess with him.

"Why did you lie that you were at the library?" Diamond was the first to recover from the shock that was written all over their faces.

"You don't know my dad. If you did, you wouldn't be asking me that question." I told her, not giving any specifics.

"Nawa o." Annabel commented but I couldn't see what expression Amanda was wearing since she slept above me.

They all laid back on their bed and so did I.

My dad has always been a disciplinarian who never beats around the bush. He only wore a smile around familiar faces which is mostly family and maybe his colleagues at work.

Eric was the only guy amongst my other male friends who was able to get my dad's recognition and smile and maybe that was one of the many reasons I liked him a lot.

He had found a way to penetrate into the den called my dad's heart and without doing much, penetrated mine.

He had been so bold one day to walk me home with my younger ones. My dad had been the one to answer the door when we knocked.

He wore a frown but Eric showed no fear. Eric had greeted him like he was a respectful young man - I was really surprised and my dad was too.

Surprisingly, they got into a deep conversation and that was when Eric gained my dad's first smile.

I smiled at the memory of the triumphant smirk Eric wore when I asked him how he did it - how he got my dad to not chase him away with just one death glare.

At that memory, I drifted to a dark place caused by sleep.

I was enjoying my sleep when my phone rang beside me on the bed. My eyes flung open and I grumbled while I took my phone from my side. I squinted my eyes at the Caller's ID and the time, trying to adjust them to the yet-to-be-familiar brightness. It was already 8 in the night.

"Yeah?" I managed to say after yawning a few times.

"You're sleeping?" Dare asked from the other end.

"Was." I answered and yawned again.
"What's up? You guys just left without a word and you weren't even answering your calls."

"Yeah, sorry about that. Eric didn't want us to."

"What's going on?" I sat up, the anxiety finally working into my system.

"I can't really say. He's not saying anything to us and he's been collecting notes from the guys in the hostel, comparing handwritings."

"He's what?" I furrowed my brows.
"What does he intend to do if he finds out whoever it is?"

"Like I said, he's not saying anything but I'll be in touch in case any thing new happens." he assured me.

"OK. Thanks."

"Yeah. Just wanted to know how you're doing."

"I don't even know how I'm doing. This whole thing is killing me." I complained and ran my fingers through my now messy hair.

"Just don't think about it much. Everything will be fine."

"I hope so and... " I let my words trail off.

"And what?" Dare urged me to go on.

"I... I just wanted you to make sure Eric doesn't get himself into any kind of trouble. I really don't want him doing anything stupid that would lead to him getting suspended or worse. Please?"

I was really worried about Eric and the fact that he might do something to piss off whoever my admirer is, forcing the worse to happen.

"Don't worry. Nothing bad will happen to him. I'll make sure of that." he promised and I somehow believed him. His words reduced a little amount of fear or worry I've been feeling since Eric walked away.

"Thanks." I smiled but he couldn't see my smile although I'm sure he knew I was wearing one.

"You're welcome. Gotta go now. Talk to you later."

"Kk." I answered and he hung up.

I sighed heavily then leaned back on my headboard.

This whole thing seemed messed up and complicated.

I guess messed up and complicated were born on the same day.

***
Sorry, it's not much but I promise to update as soon as possible. 😁

Love,
Amberdorn💞