Chapter 52: Shaken

Thanks a lot ShanteSOspecial for another lovely cover. Really appreciate it.

Don't be shy to send in yours. The email address is: preciousihemadu001@gmail.com

Thanks.

***
"She just needs to rest. She'll be fine."

"OK. Thank you, doctor."

The voices fade away as I struggle to keep my eyes opened. The headache hit harder and I let out a groan as I try to sit up on what I just discovered to be a hospital bed.

I finally was able to keep my eyes open to see I was covered with a white bed cover. The whole room smelt like medicine and sick people.

I was the only one in it but I didn't understand why I was at a hospital.

I look from the empty bed at the other end of the room to the door.

I'm about to stand up from the bed when Caleb walks in.

"Hey. You're awake. How are you feeling now?" he comes over to the bed and gently presses down my shoulders so I'd lie back on the bed.

"Why am I here?" I ask, confused. I remember I was on my way to the hostel and when I entered, I...

"Where's Bel? How's she doing?" I ask immediately I remember what I had seen, a part of me hoping I was just hallucinating everything.

"She'll be fine. She was rushed to the Emergency unit. We haven't heard anything from them yet but I'm sure she's fine."

"What do you mean you're sure she'll be fine? We need to be there to know what's going on." I throw off the bed cover as I attempt to leave the bed but Caleb holds me back and presses me down on the bed like before.

"Harry is there. He'll call us if anything happens." he picks up the cover and puts it over me.

"How bad was it?" I ask, my voice cracking a bit and my eyes watering as I recalled everything again.

"She'll be fine. Trust me. All you need to do now is rest." he smiles but it doesn't reach his eyes. Something was wrong and he didn't want to tell me. Why?

"We've called her mom already. She'll be around soon." he informs me but I still don't feel relaxed by that.

"What of... Mond?" my voice cuts off at the mention of her name.

"You need to rest, Debby." he tries to brush off the issue but I shoot him a demanding glare.

"Caleb."

He stares at the empty bed for a while then gulps, his Adam apple hitting up then down before he turns to me.

"She got arrested a few minutes after Annabel was rushed to the Emergency unit."

I gasp in shock, my hands over my mouth as a tear fell out of my eye.

"No. She didn't do it." I mumble.

"It's OK. Debby, calm down."

"She didn't do it. She might be sneaky and a two-faced bitch but she is definitely NOT a killer." I continue to mumble but it was sounded more like I was trying to convince myself.

"Debby, please calm down. You need to rest."

"But she didn't do it." I stare into his eyes, hoping he believed me than I believed myself.

"I know she didn't do it. I believe you. Just calm down. We'll find a way, OK?" he coos then shifts closer to hug me, resting my head on his chest.