Chapter 33: Corporate Harry and a Lesson with Diamond

Day 10

The tension between the girls wasn't going away anytime soon. Anda still wouldn't talk to anyone while Mond and Bel avoided each other like plagues.

I haven't seen or heard from the boys since Monday and I was starting to get more than worried. Four days away from whatever they had planned and there was not much communication at all.

I didn't get any note since that day Caleb's face got battered but I've been having a hard time sleeping or walking alone. I always felt like I was being watched. Was I just being paranoid?

"Debby." Oyin's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I turned to meet her striking black eyes analysing my face.
"Where's your mind?"

"Around." I let out a heavy sigh.

"We have only five minutes left and you haven't written much on your paper. Do you feel like failing Biology?"

"Oh." I looked down at my paper to see the empty spaces I was yet to fill, either with the right answers or some rubbish I could come up with within five minutes.

"No talking in the Laboratory. If I catch you, I'll seize your script." the tall lanky man in an oversized suit who's our lab instructor announced as he paraded the aisle, watching each student like a hawk.

"Start writing already. There's no time." Oyin whispered quickly and I nodded, taking my time to read each question and answer a few.

With no time left and only three questions left unanswered, my script was snatched from me by my stupid Course Rep.

"Didn't you hear stop writing?" he never missed an opportunity to remind me how much of a jerk he was but he was the least of my worries. I wished someday I could take his glasses and poke his eyes with it but clearly that would be inhumane.

I got up from the high stool I was sitting on like everyone else and walked over to the other Lab instructor who's an elderly woman in recommended glasses to sign out my name before leaving.

"What were you thinking about? Your children that you left at home?" Oyin asked when she caught up with me walking down the stairs.

"No, I don't have children." I chuckled.

"Then what's wrong?" we started to walk away from the laboratory building. My destination was the canteen, I didn't know about hers.

"It's really nothing." I half-smiled at her but she wasn't falling for it.

"I might not be a psychologist but I do know when something's up with you." she cocked a brow at me and she was right. She might not be as close with me as the girls but she did know when something was wrong with me.

"It's just, my friends won't talk to each other." I decided to at least tell her part of my many worries as she could be stubborn too. If I decided not to tell her anything, she definitely won't let it slide.

"Your roommates?" she furrowed her brows.

"Yeah. And I don't know what to do. I don't even feel like going back to my hostel." I lowered my head, sadly.

"Have you tried calling them together to sort it out?"

"Yes but they just ignore me. It's either they don't come back to the hostel or they immediately pretend to be asleep."

"Ah! If they don't want to sort it out, you leave them. Will you come and go and kill yourself away?" she quoted a popular incorrect Nigerian phrase at the end of her suggestion which meant I shouldn't stress myself.

I spared her an 'are you kidding me' look but she didn't change her mind set.

"When they are ready they'll give in. Sooner or later. Besides, you can force a horse to the river but you can't force it to drink out of it."