Chapter 36: The D-day

I was weak on my legs but I still ran, bare footed, as fast as I could.

It was late but I didn't mind as long as there were light poles to brighten the way.

The girls screamed my name from behind but I didn't look back.

The only thing on my mind was to get to the guys before they got themselves involved in something they'd never be able to pull out of.

I got to the library but saw no one. I ran up the stairs to the door and pulled. It was locked. Panting heavily, I gulped hard trying to figure out where they might be before it clicked. I ran downy then to the back of the building. On getting there, I saw the guys approaching another set on the other side.

"Eric!!! Caleb!!!" I yelled immediately I recognised them from their height and physique.

They all turned to me and I could see Dare, Harry and Gabriel were with them too.

"Debby, what are you doing here?" Eric asked immediately I reached them, anger noticeable in his voice.

I couldn't say anything as I was still trying to catch my breath.

"You guys go on. I won't take long." Caleb suggested and they nodded. Eric hesitated at first, an unreadable expression on his face, before he turned to leave.

"Please, don't do this. I'm begging you." I pleaded with him for the millionth time while trying to control my tears.

"I have to. It's the only way out." he says while taking my hands in his. He looks down into my eyes and I see the concern he has for me and a hint of fear that he's trying to hide.

"It's not. You might die. No, you will die!" I continue to try to persuade him to dismiss this foolish idea.

He laughs. It's not his usual amused laugh. It's a laugh out of fear and forced courage to sooth my worries.

"So you still don't believe I can throw a punch?" he leaves my hands and wipes my tears with his thumbs.

"It's not that, joor."

"Then it's what?"

"Please, just don't go." I hug him and he hugs me back, his hand rubbing my back soothingly.

"Hey, are we going to do this or are we going to keep watching you guys play Romeo and Juliet?!" one of the guys yell at us and I hear his colleagues laugh at his stupid joke.

Was that supposed to be funny?

"Duty calls." he removes my hand from his waist and looks down in my eyes with a small smile.

"I'll be fine." he whispers before leaving to go do something stupid like throw a punch and take a beat for me.

"Caleb, please!" I screamed as he left. I saw him whisper something to Dare and soon Dare starts to walk towards me and immediately my mind registers what he's about to do.

"No! No!! No!!! I'm not leaving! I'm not going anywhere!" I cried as Dare tried to calm me down.

"Oh thank goodness." I heard someone breath out and I knew the girls finally caught up.

"What's going on?" Mond asked as she stepped beside us, still out of breath.

"You girls need to leave." Dare said as he tried to hold me from running up to where the guys were.

They started a controlled fire to burn between them and the other set of guys I knew to be the cult members gave a cheerful cry.

"I am not. Going. Anywhere!" I tried to release myself from Dare's grasp.