Chapter 4: Acceptance

Stomping my feet as I walk pass the caretaker of the girls' hostel who was at the counter too bothered about her face to notice me, I rehearse every word I'll tell Eric when I see him.

If Eric wanted to flirt with a girl, why involve me?

I was pretty mad. Upset. Outraged. Who does he think he is? He's not the only guy in this planet earth?

I'm going to give him a piece of my mind till it sticks.

Once outside the doors that enclosed the hostel, the cold October wind hit me but not as much as it would have if I wasn't wearing a sweatshirt.

The boys' hostel is a 5 minutes walk from the girls' hostel if you are marching as fast as I am.

While approaching the gate enclosing the building filled with gross and handsome boys, I see Eric with a guy I fail to recognise from afar. Maybe because I don't actually know the guy and it's dark.

I almost call out Eric's name as I march closer to them but stop my mouth from opening when I see Dare beside him.

He knows Dare? Why does he know Dare?!

I start to walk slowly, reducing my speed to an appropriate pace for a lady.

18, but elegant was one hard stunt to pull off, for me.

"Eric." I call calmly when I get closer to the gate then smile at Dare.

"Hey..." Dare greets and I notice he has a bit of a problem remembering my name. Although I'm hurt, I don't show it.

He makes up for the hurt when he says my name immediately it popped into his head.

"Deborah." I grin at him and I notice Eric somehow roll his eyes.

Now they are standing side by side, I can tell the clear difference. Eric is much more muscular than Dare. I could tell because they were both wearing the same Chelsea top and it's more stretched on Eric's folded arms.

"Hello, Dare. What are you guys doing out here?" I ask, still looking at Dare.

Somehow, I was trying to impress Eric and show him that I know another cute guy who isn't him.

"Waiting for you. Come on." Eric answers and grabs my hand immediately. Soon I was staring, confused, and waving slightly at Dare who shakes his head with a smile on his face.

"What's wrong with you? Why are you pulling me? And what do you mean you were waiting for me?" I somehow forget why I marched all the way from my hostel to here in the first place as I'm being dragged off to only he knows where.

"Didn't you get my message? From Diamond?" he takes a quick glance at my face, not reducing his pace at all. Not minding the fact that he has longer legs that covers more land than my tiny ones.

"Wait? That was a message you sent on purpose?" I raise a brow at him which he doesn't see because he's still staring ahead.

When he doesn't answer, I stop walking and remove my hand from his. It takes me 95% of my strength to get him to stop and a 100 to pull my hand out of his grasp.

"What's going on? Where are we going to?" I decide not to be that girl who runs off with him whenever he feels like it.

"Just follow me." he takes my hand forcefully and continues to drag me along.

I want to scream for help but even the gateman didn't object to the brutality I am being subjected to.

He was at the gate by Dare and watched as we left.

We were finally away from the hostel and on the fields. He sits me down on the grass and takes his place beside me.

For a few minutes, he doesn't say anything, instead, stares at the sky like his ancestors were to send him a message at this particular time.

"What are we doing here?" I finally break the silence and he looks at me like I'm supposed to know what we'd be doing outside, sitting on the grass, around 8... Oh, the stars.

I look up immediately at the tiny beautiful creatures scattered all over the sky.

"Amazing." I gaze in awe at the beautiful sight I beheld.

"You've always said you love stargazing." he tells me and I'm suddenly touched he remembers what I told him a year back in high school.

"You remember?" I ask while trying to hold back my tears from falling.

"Why won't I? We're best friends." those three words suddenly shatter the moment, even though right now, he's holding my hand.

I wipe a tear that was about to fall and sniff as I turn to him.

"Are you crying?" his other hand move to touch my face but I move my head back a little and push his hand back.

"I'm just touched." I plaster a smile on my face and he shakes his head probably wondering how sentimental a girl can get at every little thing.

"I asked about Mariam but you didn't really give me an answer?" I change the topic.

"She's fine. I told you before." he answers but I can sense something else is up.

"You know you can tell me if there's a problem?" I tilt my head and he smiles. A smile that reassures me that we're going to be friends for life. Although heartbreaking, it's better to have him in my life even as a friend than to lose him.

"I don't really know." he says and looks down at my hand he's holding.

"Just tell me." I urge him to continue.

He takes his time, swings his head for a while then bites down, his jawline an evidence of the action.

"She's been behaving strangely lately. She hardly answer any of my calls or even reply any of my texts."

Awwwn, he's heartbroken by her ignorance towards him.

I'd never do that to you.

Focus, Dora.

"Hmm." I finally hum.

"I'll try to talk to her and see what's up. She's probably busy." I defend.

I know I should be taking this opportunity to get him to see me and probably end their relationship but I don't want to be that girl whose jealousy makes her do stupid things.

I'm scared if I try to get closer than I already am, I'll probably lose him.

"Too busy to want to talk to me." he mutters and I can't help but find it cute.

I guess Mariam is the girl that finally won his heart.

Even though he goes around, flirting with other girls, he still has her in his heart and always will.

As much as it hurts to not be his girl, to be that girl, I still want to him to be happy. And if Mariam makes him happy, then I'll just have to learn to accept that fact and live with it.

Please, don't forget to vote and comment. Those are the only things that will keep me going.

I don't have a particular time I update, so be patient with me if I'm slow.

Thanks.
Amberdorn💖