Chapter 3: LUCK!!

The new guy in the picture has this kind of calm but confused look which tells more about the kind of person the new guy Deborah just met is.

Read on!

The TDH (tall, dark and handsome) guy I'm leading side by side to the Accounting department isn't much of a talkative, if you don't know the right buttons to push.

"Sorry, Da-re," I stress his Yoruba name which I got to know from our introduction a few minutes ago.

He laughs at my failed attempt to pronounce it to his satisfaction and I blush a little.

"You study Accounting or you're just going there to meet someone?"

"I study it and I'm also going there to meet someone. And you? You looked like you could eat the building you were staring at if given as food." I laugh at his successful attempt to make me laugh. I was laughing sincerely and that was saying something.

"The place looked so-"

"Different?" he suggests and I nod.

"Yeah. And-"

"Beautiful?" he finishes my sentence again and I nod.

"Yeah, yeah."

He totally gets me. He totally gets me!!

He chuckles. Walking beside him made it possible to only see one side of his cheek, which meant one dimple.

I look up at the building on our right and stop.

"This is where you need to be." I inform him and he stops too to look at the tall building across.

"Thanks, Deborah." he smiles.
"I liked your company." he says in a tone I recognise as sincere and I almost awe at him before he jogs off, waving at a girl just on the other side.

"Why did I think luck changed sides immediately?" I mutter, disappointed at the prettier girl he walks up to.

I'm about to turn back to my tour when someone calls out 'Dora'.

Eric.

I turn away from where I was coming from with Dare to the opposite side.

Eric was already close to where I was standing.

"Yeah?"

"Where have you been?" he puts his hands on his waists and I furrow my brows.

"Giving myself a tour. Why?"

Was he looking for me?

"I've been looking all over for you."

"Why?" I'm tempted to put my hand over his forehead to check if he's having a fever that's affecting his thinking but I hold back my hand.

"That Diamond, your roommate you directed me to? She's too childish." he answers and I'm again tempted but this time to slap him across the face but instead I turn the other way containing my rage and hoping not to explode with jealousy.

"Dora! " he calls out and I snap my head to him.

"What?!"

"Class starts in about 5 minutes."

I feel so stupid.

I turn back to him and bump shoulders with him, although it was more like bumping my shoulder to his stomach.

"Why are you suddenly angry at me?" he asks once his long legs caught up with my short ones.
"Did I say anything wrong?"

I avoid looking at his face and melting for those puppy eyes I'm sure he was popping out.

"Talk na." he holds onto my arm, then interlaces his fingers with mine.

Those actions alone melted every wall I had been building for the past one hour to block him from my heart.

I glance at his gorgeous face then look ahead suddenly feeling stupid for acting out.

I didn't have any solid explanation why I was mad at him. I had an explanation but that would give away everything I've been trying to keep buried for the past two and half years.

"Dora," he calls softly and I stop walking then turn to him.

"I'm just pulling your legs." I try to put on a believable smile.

"Although, I'm mad at the fact that you have a girlfriend who likes you a lot but you still prefer to put on your player face. I wonder what she fell for in you exactly. I think I need to ask her to have a rethink about this relationship." I make up an excuse for my hidden jealousy and he laughs, throwing his head back, revealing his Adam apple.

"She's back." he pulls my cheek with his other hand that is not holding mine.

"Stop doing that." I push his hand away with the one he's not holding.
"I'm not a child." I tell him.

"I know, you're a woman." he says, teasingly and I pout at his sarcasm.

"Let's get to class and stop pretending. You do know what Mariam sees in me." he brags with a gesture at himself and I scoff, trying to walk away from him but he pulls me back easily with the hand he's holding and fortunately and unfortunately, we walk side by side to class.

***
Classes were over for the day by 4 but I get to my hostel at exactly 8.

I lost track of time while glancing through some books in the library.

My other roommates: Diamond, Anabel and Amanda enter only a few minutes after I slumped on my bed tiredly.

"You're back?" one of them says and I nod, not having the strength to talk.

Luckily for them, they attended almost the same classes and studied related courses. Although they only knew each other from here, they were getting pretty close.

I could hear them chattering over a guy that asked them out or how one of the lecturers wouldn't stop talking.

"Hey, Debby." one of them calls and I just 'hmm' in reply, not bothering to check who called.

"A guy I don't know talked to me today."

And how's that my business? Show off.

"He says he knows you." she informs me and I immediately realise she's talking about Eric.

"Oh," I simply answer, still wondering why he had to involve my name in his little affair.

"He also said he can't collect my number or give me his till you permit him to." she says and I immediately find the strength to sit up on my bed.

"Huhn? Why would he say such a thing?" I ask her and she heaves her shoulder in an 'I don't know' way.

"But pleeease, permit him already." Diamond begs me and I can't help but roll my eyes. I stand up immediately and go through my wardrobe for a Jordan trouser and a sweatshirt to throw on.

"He's not your boyfriend or ex, is he?" she asks and I glare at the boldness emitting from her fake lashes.

"No, he's neither." I fake a smile at her before taking off my skirt and throwing the clothes I brought out on.

"It didn't sound like neither." she mumurs and I chose to ignore her.