Chapter 5: Can We All Be Friends?

A/N: I apologise for any wrong or unpleasant words I use here but please that shouldn't stop you from enjoying this chapter, voting and commenting.

Also, I don't really have a picture of most of my characters, it's just made up, up here (my brain), so if you have any pictures that depicts what you think each character looks like, don't fail to send it to my gmail account: preciousihemadu001@gmail.com. I'll upload as many as I can get.

You watch a movie and see best friends finally become a couple after walking in circles with their eyes closed and you start to think: That could be us.

Till, bam! He finds someone who steals his heart and you're forever left to to be his Best friend. Either because you were too slow or because you were never really on his mind or because that was just a movie and THIS is reality.

At first, you start to wish she's just like every other girl he flirts with. You also wish their relationship is just a fling and you tell yourself: 'it's only a matter of time.'

But as you wait, you start to see she's not just any kind of girl. She's THE girl.

It's not just a fling, it's REAL.

It's not only a matter of time because it's not ending soon.

And this is when you start to accept the defeat.

All these I have felt and the defeat, I'm dealing with.

Still staring at the ceiling, lost to my thoughts, I hear my stomach growl.

I guess you don't care about my heart, I reprimand my stomach silently.

With an appetite longing for sugar, I settle for a NASCO cornflakes and pour it into a bowl. I was still adding milk when my other roommates entered giggling as loud as possible.

When I had entered the room a few minutes ago from the field, it was empty.

"Hey, Debby. You're back." one of them calls at me and I just nod while stirring my cornflakes.

"Where did you storm off to a few minutes ago?" I hear another voice ask.

"To see a friend." I just murmur as I just wanted to be left to my thoughts.

"Is it Eric?" another voice asks and I recognise it to be Diamond's tiny babyish voice.

I raise my head from my cornflakes that I was still stirring with a gradual loss of appetite.

"Are you guys dating or have you guys dated before?" Diamond continues to be nosy and I blink at her forwardness.

"I thought I answered that question before?" I remind her although it seemed like she just wanted more confirmation.

"But it doesn't seem like you guys are or were never in a relationship." she says with a finger on her chin and her eyes to the ceiling.

"We're just friends." I tell her and I could have sworn I saw her eyes flicker with excitement.

I shake my head as if to shake off what I saw and look down at my dissolving flakes.

"Does he have a girlfriend?" Diamond continues to be a pain in the ass and I'm tempted to go over there and shut her up with the bowl in my hand but I raise my head instead and smile a: "Yes, he does." to her.

"Is she in this school?" her next question catches me off guard.

"Excuse me?"

"I mean, if she's not, that means I'll have a better chance at getting him."

"Diamond!" Anabel hits Diamond's arm with her elbow and I somehow wish she hit her harder.

"What?! It's not like distant relationships ever last." Diamond defends herself.

"Besides, it won't be my fault if he decides it's over between them because he wants to be with me instead." she adds and slumps on her bed which is opposite mine.

There are two bunk beds in our room. Amanda and I shared one with me under and Diamond shared the other one with Anabel with Diamond under.

Other things that filled up the room were our individual wardrobes by each side of our beds and the general reading table and plastic chair.

I'm still planning on getting my own chair.

"Good luck with that." I tell her loudly in a very unconvincing tone.

I'm just his friend but her guts makes me want to tear her apart.

She has the looks: she's really pretty, not too thin, a bit busty, has a great fashion sense and caramel coloured - a beautiful kind of caramel.

So, Yes! I'm unconvinced that Eric won't fall for her easily.

"I don't need luck. Luck are for people who see a gem before them but decide to walk around it like it's going to grow legs and follow them. I make my own luck, not the other way around." she states in full confidence while wiping off her makeup.

"If anything should go wrong between Mariam and Eric, you wouldn't like the other side of me." I threaten through gritted teeth and she chuckles like I was being hysterical.

Diamond never struck me as a possessive bitch till she opened her mouth few minutes ago and I can't help but think this is my fault.

I DID direct Eric to her.

"You sound like a jealous girl who has been friend zoned." she lifts a corner of her lip in an evil smirk.

"And you sound like a cock sucking whore." I tell her straight to her face and she gasps with a hand on her chest.

"You-" she's about to run over and pounce on me but I get saved by Amanda and Anabel who were standing beside her.

"Let me go. Let me go!" she screams but the other girls try to calm her down by pinning her to the bed. They hold her shoulders down while trying to talk some sense into her and me... I'm just eating my flakes like it's normal to have a crazy roommate growl at you.

"Mark my words, I'll make sure Eric becomes mine!" she screams at me.
"I promise you!" her scream becomes too loud that I see shadows and legs by our door - Other girls eavesdropping to know why the sophomores were having a scream battle that they weren't invited to.

With Anabel holding down Diamond, Amanda goes to the door, flings it open and orders the seniors to find something worth doing.

Funny enough, they all scram at her authoritative voice.

Although, if I were in their shoes, I would have done the same. Amanda's voice was enough to throw a grown man off his feet.