Chapter 32: A Lot of Tension

A little act of kindness can go a long way but an act of getting beat up for a girl you barely know can go a longer way.

Caleb had been taking and throwing punches for me. He has been fighting off Charles for me all this while and I didn't even notice a thing.

Although he had moved out of the hostel, he still tried to stop the notes Charles started writing himself from reaching me. Charles knew and each time he confronted Caleb, they either got into a heated argument that got settled by people around or they exchanged blows. I don't know how but Caleb managed to keep his face from getting hurt. He said he didn't want me to worry.

"Why?" the question left my mouth bitterly.

Gabriela was with us, tendering to Caleb's wounds. We were sitting in an auditorium which lucky for us had only three people hanging out at the front.

He groaned in pain at the disinfectant Gabriela was applying to his face.

"I didn't want him to keep bothering you." he gulped.

"Bothering me?" I asked incredulously.
"You look like you were used as a punching bag and you were worried about him bothering me? Caleb what if he had a gun or a knife and had killed you? He's a cultist or don't you remember?! How do you think I'd live with the fact that you died for me?" tears streamed down my cheeks.

"Please, don't cry." he begged and immediately my vision blurred because of the tears.

"You let yourself get beat up cos of me, why?" I sobbed. He didn't just get beat up for me, he risked his life and that was something I never believed someone could do for me. It made me cry the more.

"Please, stop crying." he dodged Gabriela's hand holding a cotton wool and she let him have his way. She sat beside him as he took my hand.

"I know it was dangerous but I couldn't allow him hurt you when I could do something and although I've been taking punches for you, I still couldn't save you from Tope and I'm really sorry about that." he put his hand under my chin to lift my face to his. My watery eyes meet his soft baby eyes.

"I'm really sorry I couldn't even defend you that day. I'm a big fool and I know it. I've always messed things up but I don't want you to hate me. Or ignore me. It kills me not to see you smile at me or hear your voice."

My heart melted like butter. I didn't know I had meant that much to him and this was exactly what I was scared of. He didn't even have to ask me for my forgiveness cos his face already softened my heart.

Call me stupid or whatever but I'm just being human and no human in their right mind would be happy someone got hurt cos of them.

"Do you love her?" I didn't know when the words escaped my mouth but before I could stop myself, it was already too late. I had already asked it and all I needed now was an answer.

He looked nervous, his hand on his neck and the other under my hand.
"I don't know what I feel for her anymore. We broke up two weeks ago but I'm still not sure of what I feel for her."

"Oh." I let out hoping it didn't show my disappointment.

"Look, I'm sorry about Tope and her ill behavior. I really really wish I could make it up to you and things could go back to how they used to be. We've spent only a few days getting to know each other but I don't want to lose our friendship. No matter how little it seems." his eyes pleaded, reminding me how dangerous yet captivating they are.

"You already made it up to me with your face." I said and he let out a soft chuckle.
"I cherish our friendship too but I'm not so sure about things going back to the way they used to be." his face fell at my last statement and I squeezed his hand.