Chapter 9: A New Beginning: Getting to Know The Girls.

Dedicating this chapter to my amazing defender, ChiomaImma. You saved me a lot in Secondary school. 😁
Thanks for the comments and votes too. It really made me get my lazy brain working. Thanks a lot, dearie. You're the best.

I finally made it to my room, avoiding questioning glances and whispers from the other girls who hung around the hallway finding it entertaining to watch a girl sob to her room.

It was like they had an antenna that sensed trouble and was always there to observe the problem whenever it signaled.

I made my way to my bed when I entered the room and sat on it with my face buried in my palms.

"Are you Ok?" I heard a voice ask in clear concern. Recognizing the tiny voice, I wiped my eyes and sniffed as hard as possible before looking up at Diamond's face. Her face held as much concern as her voice did or was it just mockery disguised as sympathy?

"Are you here to mock me or what?" I question her sudden kindness towards me. She sits beside me on the bed without my permission but I ignore the urge to argue it with her. It seemed childless to do so.

"I just asked if you were OK?" she repeats and I almost scoff at her sudden act.

"I'm fine." I pull myself together.

"Are you sure?"

"I said, I'm fine! What else do you want me to say?!" I shout at her but she doesn't move or look startled. She just blinks at me with her innocent face staring at my teary face, probably analyzing me and making me feel stupid and angrier.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I ask, my anger replaced by curiosity.

"Because you don't look fine. Here." She offers me a white handkerchief in her hand that I didn't notice she was holding.

"Do I look that bad?" I ask, my mind darting at how horrible I must have looked when crying in front of Eric. I shake the thought of him. It only made me angrier.

Diamond nods and I collect the handkerchief and clean my face before blowing into it. It's a good thing I don't use makeup, I would have looked worse.

After getting cleaned up, I stare at the handkerchief, unsure if I am to return it or...

"You can keep it. I have another." She answers my mentally asked question. I guess what I was thinking was evident on my face.

"So, why were you crying?" she asks and I just stare down at the handkerchief in my hand.
"It's fine if you don't want to talk. I just thought maybe you might want to get rid of what you were feeling and would rather talk it out." She says and stands up.

"I just lost my best friend." I mutter and she stops on her track to her bed. I don't really like to open up to anyone about my private life except Eric but something about Diamond's approach made me feel at ease.

She sits back on the bed and doesn't say anything and I assume that means 'Go on'.
I somehow start to narrate everything that happened and the fact that I already blamed everything on her before finding out the truth.

She flinches a little but doesn't say anything so I continue and tell her about what happened a few minutes ago.

"I feel bad. I was very angry at that moment and decided to let it out." I tell her and wipe a tear that had escaped my eye.
"He was my best friend. I never thought he'd do such a thing to me. I guess I was just hurt."

"So, what do you want to do now?" she asks when I stop talking.

"I thought the whole point of me telling you my problem was so you'd tell me how to solve them or probably give me a heartwarming speech." I shoot her a questioning stare and she lets out a laugh. Not a laugh based on mockery but a good natured one. Surprisingly, I start to believe what Amanda had said the other time. Diamond really is a nice person.