Chapter 56: Hurt beyond Healing

Get a friend like ShanteSOspecial. Thanks a lot girlie for the cover. I really love seeing them.😊💞

Enjoy!

***

"Debby. Debby!" a voice whispers loudly bringing me out of my sleep.

"Yeah?" I say, panting heavily as I look up to find Caleb's face.

"You're sweating like crazy. What's wrong?" he asks, putting his hand over my forehead.

"It's nothing. I'm fine." I remove his hand from my forehead as I dry my face with my palm while sitting up.

I must have fell asleep on his bed after putting him to sleep.

"No, you're not. You were crying and shivering, like you were having a nightmare." he sits up beside me and lets out a groan in pain, his hand touching his temple.

"Having a headache?" I ask.

"Yeah. It's - don't change the subject." he ignores the pain in his head and keeps a straight face on.

"It's nothing." I answer and try to get off the bed but get stopped by Caleb's hand gripping my wrist.

"Debby, talk to me. You don't look so well."

"And neither do you. You came home dead drunk last night."

"This is not about me, Debby and you know it so stop trying to change the subject." he furrows his brows, angrily.

"Let's not do this now." I say and start to shift off the bed.

"Do what?" he gets off the bed too, following behind.

"Caleb please, I don't want to argue with you this morning." I turn to tell him before leaving the room.

"Neither do I." he follows me out of the room and takes my hand, making me stop.

"Look at me." he says but I don't turn to him.
"Debby, please look at me." he begs softly and I bite down on nothing as I turn to look at him.

His eyes were soft and pleading as he talked.
"You've been acting strange since Annabel got stabbed and now you have a nightmare. I can tell this is not just any nightmare or it's first time." he pauses, waiting for me to confirm his words.

I inhale slowly, holding back a tear in my eye.
"The masked man Bel saw, I see him in my dreams everyday. I keep having the same dream over and over again. Every night. It scares me a lot." I burst into tears and he brings my head closer to his chest.

"Why don't you go home?" he suggests.

I remove my head from his chest to look at him.

"I know you believe everything's fine and nothing bad has happened since that time but if you are this scared, you should go home. Get some rest."

"But-"

"No buts, Debby. I hate to see you suffer so please just listen to me and go home. Christmas break is almost close so you won't miss much in school if that's what you're worried about." he looks down into my eyes, captivating them with his worried ones.

"Please." he begs, once more and I finally give up.

"OK. I'll get my stuffs ready and leave tomorrow." I say and he nods agreeably.

***
I told Eric about my decision to leave school tomorrow and he tells me to meet him in school since he'd be too busy to make it to Caleb's place.