Chapter 1: Will you be My Girl?

Saw that picture online and I loved it. The look reminded me of my male character, Eric. You could use this to visualise him like I am.

Being the new girl at school, in your neighbourhood, in the midst of a gathering or even at church, sucks. Being the new girl everywhere sucks.

I had just been admitted into Crimson Private University and although I'm not the only new girl or person here, it sucked to be alone.

Lecture only started today and of all subjects, we started the day with chemistry, now termed CHM 101.

That's just a way to package pain.

We all have that one subject we hate more than any other dislikeable subject and Chemistry is my most hated one.

The short plumpy man who is teaching the subject isn't even trying to make me interested in it at all. He keeps making gestures with his hands and keeps writing weird words on the board and I'm not the only one spying at my phone as he's teaching.

Although I am taking a peek at my phone, I am mostly checking out the guys in my class. Some are cute, some gorgeous and some are just... How do I put this delicately? On a scale of 1 to 10 of good looking, they only make a 1.5.

I think I have an incurable disease. I don't know what it's called but I know what it's about. I can't just see a handsome guy and just look away without fantasising about him and I being together.

I know it's crazy but that's how it is. I've considered seeing a doctor but I'm not sure I'll be able to explain what's wrong with me without looking or sounding stupid. So it's best I live with my disease till someone comes along and sweeps me off my feet with love, not literally.

Still checking out the guys and daydreaming about some, I notice a familiar face. From the look of things, he's flirting with a girl on my right, three seats after mine.

From his profile, he looks familiar and I start to hope he turns to me.

If it's who I'm thinking, then I'd smack him for talking to another girl.

He keeps talking to the girl, making her blush stupidly and I can't help but roll my eyes.

Impatiently, I wait for him to turn to me and fortunately, the lecturer starts to pack his stuff to leave.

I still keep my eyes on him, evading the eager students that are packing their stuffs and shoving themselves to the crowd just to exit this hellhole called a class.

After turning my head to every side to catch a glimpse of the guy I am sure I know, he finally turns to my direction and I immediately wave at him, calling out his name as loud as I can.

"Eric!!!" he furrows his brows for a few seconds, probably trying to figure out who I am before straightening his brows and giving me that flirty smirk I fell for in High school.

Eric is the one boy I've been crushing on since High school but I've not told him or tried to show it because I fear I might either look dumb or lose him and also because he has a girlfriend.

No matter how much I fantasised about another guy, he was never out of my thoughts. He was either probably crashing my fantasy dates or fighting for me with my fantasy boyfriend.

I'm dumb like that.

He turns and whispers something to the girl he's flirting with and she brings out her phone and they probably exchange numbers and I can't help but feel a little bit jealous.

He's not mine and we're just best buds, I keep telling myself.

He climbs on a chair, revealing his 6"2 and broad everything, before winking at the girl. She giggles with her friend and he starts to make his way to me.

I notice he made his hair curler than it usually is and his skin tone lightened. He has a few shave marks by his eyebrows which makes him look dead gorgeous.

"Hello, stranger." he calls when he's near me, standing on another chair.

"Hey." I wave at him with a smile which almost showed I was a bit nervous with him around me.

"Want to be my girl?" he tells me with another smirk he gave me when he said those words playfully the first day we talked in High school.

We were about having a practical and I was new then. The chemistry, oh chemistry, I hate chemistry!

Anyways the chemistry teacher wanted us to pair up, a girl and a boy in a group and Eric walked up to me. I still don't know why he chose to partner up with me that day and if I ask him, he only smiles and says, he was only helping a damsel in distress. Although truly, he was. He's great at chemistry and I only love Math.

"Why don't I be the girl that tells that girl you were flirting with, that she's not the only one?" I laugh, still straining my head up to keep my eyes on him. The hardest thing I've ever done is look him in the eye and talk to him since the day I realised I liked him more than a friend would but right now, I'm giving it my all.

He jumps down the chair with a knowing smile on his face.

"If you do, you'd only look jealous. I'm just saying." he puts up his hands and I can't help but laugh. You know that situation where no matter what your crush says, if he/ she intends it to be funny, to you, it'll definitely sound funny? Well, that's always the situation with him.

"So when did you get here?" he asks me before sitting beside me on the long seat, long enough for six people, although comfortable for all, I wasn't feeling comfortable right now. My heart was racing like it was about to jump right out of me and sit on my palm while wiggling it's brows at me.

"Hmm, on Sunday. You?"

"Today." he answers casually like it's a normal thing to travel all the way from home(Lagos) to school(Ogun state) in a day for class.

"Today?"

"Yeah."
I shake my head at him and start to fit my books into my small black handbag.

"You know, I almost didn't recognise you?" he tells me and I look up. At first, I thought he was joking till I met the seriousness on his face.

"How come?"

"Well, you look... Different." he stresses the last word as he looks from my hair, I ponied up to my white flower top to my pink skirt.

"Good different or bad different?" I tilt my head and he gives me a thumbs up like a kid and I can't help but find that cute. I smile at him then strap my bag to one shoulder. If only he had dimples, I would have died on the spot he asked me to be his girl for practical.

"Where to?" he asks me and stands up too, his height towering over my 5"2.

Oh my poor 5"2, I wish I love wearing heels.

"The cafeteria. I'm starving." I tell him while holding onto my tummy that I sucked in to look flat.

I don't have a flat tummy neither do I have an oversized one. I only make it look flat cos I don't like walking with my stomach protruding out of me. It'd ruin my 8... Don't argue with me, I've got that 8 figure.

"So am I." he tells me and rubs his tummy too but this time around he isn't rubbing any kind of tummy, he's rubbing a complete six and this is making me want to fall into his arms like a damsel in distress.

Trust me, I've seen them but don't get any weird thoughts or wrong idea. He has a girlfriend and...

We're just friends.

I bite down the urge to embarrass myself and chose to lead the way out of the class.

What do you think of this chapter? Let me know in your comments and don't forget to vote.

Love,
Amberdorn💖