Chapter 48: Wearing a Mask Well

I don't know what Dare told the guys but whatever it was, it was enough for them not to have followed me.

Every moment starts to replay in my head as I make my way to the hostel.

The day Mond offered me her handkerchief.

The laugh we've shared.

How she has always cared about me and fought for me.

How she glared at Caleb at the field.

Why did she all of a sudden like Caleb after her reaction on the field?

What was the real story behind her relationship with Peter?

Although I haven't found a reason to believe she could have been faking everything all this while apart from that one time, but if you think back on it, she behaved crazy that day. Even Anda was surprised about her actions.

I greet the security guard at the gate then make my way to the slide door leading to the inside of the hostel and greet the Caretaker at the checkpoint.

Each step I took, I took in deep breaths and let them out slowly. My heart was pounding. I've never confronted anyone about anything so this was going to be hard.

I hated quarreling so I always tried to avoid it.

The stairs felt like they had been reduced so it felt like I got to the hallway leading to my room quickly.

I didn't know if Mond would be around but I hoped that was the case. I wouldn't want her to walk in on me or the girls to be around.

As I reach the room and put my hand on the handle, I hear someone talking.

I place my ear on the door to know whose voice I was hearing.

"Nah, she suspects nothing yet."

...

"This one's dumber, trust me." she lets out a short laugh that sounded like the ones villains give in movies.

She must be talking to someone on the phone.

"I swear! I know it's been just a month but believe me when I say she has the brain of a naive little girl. I can't believe I'm roommates with someone like that."

Roommates? Was she talking about me?

My heart pounds faster, tears welling up in my eyes.

"Naso all of them mumu (that's how they're all stupid)." she chuckles.

...

"I have the worst roommates ever. They're so-"

"What are you doing there?" someone asks and I jump on my feet, startled.

It was Bel that had caught me eavesdropping and I put my finger on my lips to hush her.

She folds her arms and raises a brow.

I whisper to her to come over and listen too. She had arrived at the perfect moment and this was going to save me the trouble of having to explain anything to her.

As we are about to put our ears on the door, it opens and we both fall in.

"Looking for something?" Mond asks from above.

Bel and I struggle over each other to get up. I pick my bag and stand up once Bel was up and dusting off her clothes.

"I can't believe you." I say and enter the room with Bel as Mond closes the door.