Chapter 23: Not For Free

DAY ONE

"Tomorrow's Halloween. What should we do?" I heard Annabel ask and I stayed at my wardrobe, my face turned to it.

"We're Nigerians. We don't celebrate Halloween." Amanda replied and I chuckled quietly.

I was kind of giving them the silent treatment. Why? Because they joke with almost everything. Eric or Caleb has a death wish and they all think it's a good idea. They don't see the danger in challenging a cultist who's clearly dangerous and I'm somehow mad at that.

"Debby, what do you think?" Annabel's question snapped me back to reality and I just closed my wardrobe, locked it and picked up my phone from the bed.

"I don't know." I replied plainly and left the room.

"What's her problem?" I heard Annabel ask before I started down the hallway.

I needed to calm down before saying anything to any of them. Any slightest push, I might lash out on them and that's how it's always been. Whenever I'm angry at someone, I prefer not to say anything to them at that moment because I might say something I'd regret later.

So, I needed to reason with myself for now and figure out their crazy logic.

I greeted the caretaker on my way out, then the Security guard at the gate before my phone rang. It was Mariam.

Took you long enough. I muttered to myself before answering the phone.

I hope she planned a good apology speech?

"Hello."

"You... How could... You think -"

"Mariam, you're breaking. I can't hear you."

"Oh, you think... I'll make sure-"

"Hello. Mariam, please calm down and repeat whatever you just said. I can't hear you." I pressed the phone to my ear but still couldn't hear her. Suddenly, she hung up.

That was... Confusing.

What was that about? What was she trying to say? Was it just me or did she sound angry?

No matter how much I needed answers to those many questions, I didn't have recharge card to call her back and ask so I slid my phone back into my handbag and continued to make my way to class.

She'll call back if it's important.

"Hey, Debby!" I heard someone call and I turned to see Anita.

"Hey. Good morning. How are you doing?" I greeted her when she got close and we both hugged.

"Good morning. I'm fine and you?" she replied and we continued to walk but in a slower pace.

"I'm OK." I answered.

"That's good. So, I heard Eric plans on challenging the stalker."

"Oh. Yeah."

"Is that even possible? To challenge the guy when they're not even members of the cult?" she raised a brow.

"I don't know. I didn't get to ask cos Caleb had to leave to attend to something but I'll ask Eric when I see him today. Maybe Caleb told him something later."

"Hmm. This is a bad idea."

"My point exactly."

"Isn't there any other way? Like telling your parents?"

"I wish there was. I would have told my parents but they'd withdraw me from this school and I don't want to leave. Not cos of some maniac."

"But it's better safe than sorry." she warned and although I knew she was right, I guess I was too stubborn to want to listen.

"I know but...what about telling the school authority?" it sounded like a good idea till Anita replied.

"I don't know. You can try but it will definitely take days, probably a month before you get a reply from them and it might be too late by then."

"Then what do we do?" I cried.

"I... I don't know too." she answered, sounding as unsure as I did.

Then, she stopped walking and I stopped too and turned to face her. Her eyes danced around, like she wanted to tell me something. Like she was unsure if she should be able to trust me.

"What's wrong?" I gave her a means of approach.

"I... It's about Dare." she says and looks at my face, her eyes meeting mine.

Uh-oh.

"What about?"

I hope I didn't ruin anything.

Although...

"Uhm, I don't know... I just needed someone to talk to." she moved from one foot to another then stops.

"Then talk to me."

I've never seen Anita this nervous. That's maybe because I don't know her too well, although, she doesn't strike me as the type to ever get nervous. She seems so bold and could handle any situation calmly.

"Well, Dare and I are in a relationship. Uhn, sort of."

Yeah, yeah. I know the whole story. Get to the point already.

Debby?! Be nice. My subconsciousness reprimanded me.

"You guys are in this situation where you feel you need to talk to understand what you guys are but you're scared to cos the last time you guys did, it didn't end well?" I raise both brows at her and I could see she was surprised by what I had just said which means she doesn't know Dare already told me about them.

"Yeah. Yeah. How did you -"

"Dare came to me." I answered her unfinished question.

"So, what did you tell him cos somehow he thinks telling me I'm right and bribing me with a Teddy would solve everything." she told me and I gave a nervous laugh.

"Well, I might have something to do with that." I confess and she furrows her eyebrows at me.

"Look. I'm no dating expert, like I should have told Dare but I know the truth when I see it and Dare really really likes you. Definitely loves you. I can tell." I told her and I meant it. Only a blind man who couldn't feel his surroundings could not see the sincere feelings Dare has for Anita.

"You really think so?" she sounded like she needed my approval in order to either believe him or not.

"I know so." I hold her arm.
"Before Dare came to me, I could see he felt something for you but I didn't know you guys already dated till he talked to me. Dare was silly to have not treated you well," she nods at that and I give her a smile which she returns.

"you'll still have to deal with him for that but for now, I really wish you guys could see how perfect you both are for each other and just get back together. Dare might not be one of the greatest guy on this planet but he definitely is amongst the good guys."

She thinks for a while before letting a smile creep onto her lips.
"I did like the bear." she tells me and I laugh before removing my hand from her arm.

"You should really become a Relationship consultant. It suits you." Anita told me and I laughed again.

"Not for free." I put out a palm and she takes it and laughs.

No seriously, put something tangible there.

"Thanks a lot." she gives an appreciative smile and I nod.

"You're welcome." I smile back.

I hope I didn't just make things worse cos what if these two aren't supposed to get back together cos if they do, their fallout might be worse than the last?

I really hope I did the right thing.

Thinking of doing the right thing, it seems like I've done a great job patching these two up but I don't know what, but something keeps nagging me.

What could it...

Oh, Amanda.