Chapter 31: Highlighting The Unknown

Day Eight

The Harmattan season was starting to crawl into November as usual and everyone was starting to embrace either their sweat shirt or long sleeves while I embraced a blue sleeveless dress and a black fashion belt at my waist.

I was going to meet Eric outside the hostel gate. I haven't seen or heard from him since Friday evening and I was starting to worry till he called me this morning. He wanted to walk with me to class and also said he had something he wanted to tell me.

"I bet it's about his crush on you." Mond's voice interrupted my thoughts and I turned from my wardrobe with a pair of black flats.

The girls knew about my little walk with Eric and they all thought he wanted to confess to me about a crush I'm definitely sure he didn't have on me.

"You girls are over analyzing this whole thing." I plopped on my bed to put on my shoes.

"Diamond might be right." Bel said and I rolled my eyes at her.
"What if he finally broke up with his girlfriend because he realized his feelings for you?"

"Wrong. He just wants to walk with me to class. Nothing more." I stated and got up from my bed, with my bag over one shoulder.

"Amanda." Mond called.

"What?" Anda answered, her question coming out icily.

"You've been quiet. Is there any problem?" Mond inquired and we all stared at her back, hoping she'd turn and give us a reply.

"I'm fine." she just replied, closed her wardrobe and left the room.

"What's wrong with her?" Bel asked immediately the door closed and I shrugged.

"I've got to go. See you guys later." I told them and started for the door.

"You had better not go to talk to that girl. When she's ready, she'll come to her senses." Mond called at me and I laughed before closing the door.

I ignored Mond's warning and hastened my pace to catch up with Anda to know what's up with her. I had just seen her leave the hostel before someone called my name from behind. I turned to a face I didn't know, wondering how she knew my name.

She's a few inches taller than me, not too fat or slim and was wearing a denim jacket over a black top and a skinny jean. She had her woven into tiny braids that fell to her shoulder.

"Someone said I should give this to you." she stretched out her hand at me, a note folded in rectangular shape in it.

I stared blankly at the note as my heartbeat increased rapidly. The notes had stopped coming and Caleb said not to worry since he bought us time. And what did he mean by that by the way? Him leaving the hostel wouldn't have stopped Charles from doing whatever he wanted. There were many other students he could bully at the hostel.

"Hello!" the girl yelled and I came out of my thoughts to stare back at the note that was causing my heart to pound really fast.

"Oh, sorry." I willed my hand to work and took the note from her. She let out a loud hiss (mtcheew) before walking away, out of the hostel.

Shakily, I opened the note and read its content.

You're mine, forever and always
We're one
He hurt you, he hurts me.
So I'm going to hurt him too.
Worse than he did to you.

C.

What and who was he talking about? Who was he going to hurt? Who hurt me?

My palms were starting to sweat profusely as I froze, still staring at the note, rereading each word carefully to figure out what he was talking about.