27

sage -

the boys have these radio shows they've been doing and today was their suicide prevention one in nashville. we were hanging around in the bus, getting ready or on our phones. i learned that waking up two hours before everyone else gives me time to get ready so i was sitting in the lounge with daniel and zach.

"i'm tired" zach said leaning his head on my shoulder.
"the mini shows are almost over"
"yeah but then we still have to go to the studio and start rehearsals."
"what about a break"
"no time. management wants everything to be perfect." he sighed.
"nothing is going to be perfect if you and the guys don't have the mental or physical energy to put on amazing shows every since day." i said as daniel rubbed my other shoulder.
"she's right zach."
"so what just tell jon and everyone that we cant do it?"
"no. because you can do it. you can do the tour. you just need a small break before it starts."
"you're just like jonah, always knows what to say and how to say it." zach says getting up and walking to the front of the bus.

"how you holding up?" daniel asked.
"i'm okay. i'm taking the sleeping pills now so i can sleep."
"can i be honest?"
"of course daniel"
"when jonah and corbyn suggested that, i didn't want you to take them."
"why? they're helping me."
"because what if you just decide- nevermind. i just want you to be okay."
"i know what you're going to say daniel. i'm not going to do that. corbyn and jonah keep the bottle hidden anyway."
"i didn't mean it in a bad way sage. i just don't want us to go somewhere without you one day and we come back and you're not here with us anymore." daniel said tearing up looking at me. he let a tear fall before quickly wiping it away. i stood up and hugged him.
"i'm not going anywhere daniel i promise"

i stood on the side of the stage when the boys went on. the crowd erupting in cheers. everyone in that room had smiles that night, including me. jonah spoke into the mic, trying to quiet down the crowd.

"what's up guys, i'm jonah."
"i'm corbyn"
"i'm daniel"
"i'm jack"
"i'm zach"
"and we're why don't we. thank you for coming out and supporting us and supporting this cause. suicide is a very tough subject. we've heard a lot of stories today. your guys stories and stories of your family and friends. and on behalf of all of us, thank you for being so strong." the crowd cheered. daniel and jonah wiped away tears.
"always check on your friends. your happy friends, your sad friends. check on people. you never know who needs it." i clapped and wiped away the tears. people in the crowd, patting their faces and hugging their friends. i smiled at the boys and they smiled back at me. daniel started the chorus to a song and the crowd started singing along. i sat next to eben who gave me a side hug. he didn't say anything since it was loud and we both knew we wouldn't be able to hear eachother. after 2 songs, i got up to use the bathroom. i walked in and there was a girl crying in a stall.

"hey, you okay?" the girl didn't respond. i softly knocked on the stall door and she opened it.
"i-i'm sorry. i lost my bestfriend last week." the girl said in between sobs. i pulled her into a hug letting her cry into me. i rubbed her back and she slowly calmed down. she pulled away and wiped her face.

"we were supposed to come here together. it was her early birthday surprise. last sunday, she-"

"it's okay. it's okay. i bet she's happy you came. you came for her"

"i miss her. she was my bestfriend, like my younger sister. why did she have to go?"

by now both me and the young girl were crying i quickly texted the group chat knowing that their set was over. i sat the girl down against the wall as she hugged onto me and sobbed quietly. i heard jonahs knock on the door and told him to come in. he opened the door and he came in along with the rest of the guys. jonah kneeled down and put his hand on her arm.

"hey hey it's okay. you're okay." the girl looked up at jonah as he smiled at her. she let go of me and jonah pulled her into a hug. jonah sat down in my spot as i stood up and needed to step out. corbyn followed me as i got to the end of the hall and slid down the wall.

"what happened?"
"i went to use the bathroom and she was crying. her bestfriend killed herself last week. they were supposed to come see you guys together." corbyn let out a deep breathe. i was still crying, the poor girl was so hurt.
"her bestfriend is gone corbyn." i said in between of shaky breaths. corbyn pulled me into him and hugged me. i calmed down, we went back to check on the girl and boys. they were all standing and hugging her. she pulled away when i walked in and gave me a hug.

"thank you"
"don't thank me. you're so strong. thank YOU for being strong. she's so proud of you." the girl nodded. we all talked to her, making sure she was okay and clear-minded. we walked out of the bathroom, getting weird looks from security. the boys said their see you later's and i walked the girl to where she was getting picked up.

"thank you, sage. it means a lot. people say you're a bad person but they're wrong. thank you."
"always. dm me when you get home. ill be sure to check tonight."

the girl gave me one last hug and got into her car. i waved her off and walked back towards the bus. i didn't realize i was crying till i saw jonah sitting on a bench outside the bus. i wiped my face and sat next to him.

"you probably stopped her from hurting herself."
"i just did what any normal person would of done."
"sage come on"
"jonah, i'm nothing special. she just needed someone and at the moment i was her someone. that's all."

i got into the bus and laid in my own bunk. i stared up at the bunk ceiling, not really really paying attention to the background noise. corbyn tugged on the curtain and i opened it. he handed me my pill and a bottle of water. he stood there till i swallowed it and handed him back the bottle.

"you did good sage."
"goodnight corb."

A/N - id really appreciate it if you guys started voting on the chapters and commenting maybe ? let me know how you guys are liking this so far :))) it'll help with motivation too

i understand how some situations seem dramatic but that's how i want it. it's building character. i'm going to start rushing it in the coming up chapters to get the story moving